Dumb Question About Psi

Mals BA XR6T

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 16d
Thanks mate.

Just the answer I was hoping for. Most of the time, I'll be using it for over-taking from 80 klms up. I didn't think I'd need the V8 for that.

As you can tell - I have ordered the turbo without driving it!

Overtaking from 80k's and up is where the turbo has it all over an 8.

The XR6T has twice as much torque at 2000rpm as what the Gen 3 has. Dont know if you have seen a report done by either wheels or motor a few months back where they compared the SS to the XR6T. In the 80-120kmh acceleration tests the turbo won in every gear. Cant remember the exact figures but l think in 5th gear the turbo was 2 seconds quicker than the SS, and maybe it was 0.5 sec quicker in 3rd and around a second in 4th.

that's wicked!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 11m 29d

I know a lot of you guys won't want to "ruin" the interior of your cars with possibly ricey looking gauges ;) but seriously a boost/vacuum gauge can really go a long way with helping to understand how turbos work. It doesn't have to be a stupidly big one sticking up in the middle of your dash, I've got mine in one of my air conditioning vents to the right of the steering wheel so it doesn't stand out like dogs balls :)

Just a suggestion anyway, it helped me a bit with my car anyway. Plus if you do it yourself it's yet another way to help you understand where all the bits go and what they do ;)

• Member For: 21y 9m 13d
I know a lot of you guys won't want to "ruin" the interior of your cars with possibly ricey looking gauges  but seriously a boost/vacuum gauge can really go a long way with helping to understand how turbos work. It doesn't have to be a stupidly big one sticking up in the middle of your dash, I've got mine in one of my air conditioning vents to the right of the steering wheel so it doesn't stand out like dogs balls

Just a suggestion anyway, it helped me a bit with my car anyway. Plus if you do it yourself it's yet another way to help you understand where all the bits go and what they do  

Hey guys :) , I'm pretty new to the world of turbo's after being a V8 lover so please bare with me if this sounds stupid - I was just wondering Simon if you could tell me where and how you hooked up your boost guage under the bonnet? My car hasnt been delivered yet :blink:, so I haven't had a good look for some nice spots for a guage indside, are there any other good spots besides the air vent you came across that would keep it reasonably hidden? (the rice factor, you see...... :P )

Cheers

• Member For: 21y 10m 14d

The XR6T is quicker than my previous 200kW AU XR8, however, you will notice a big difference in bottom end grunt, up to about 20kph... but then whoosh..off you go.

It is a little disappointing, but once you take off you forget about the lag, and I don't care what anyone says.. there is lag, and it's very noticeable. Maybe not compared to other Turbo's but coming from a V8 you can feel the difference big time.

All you have to remember is it's just a different power curve to a V8. No wheel spin if you plant your foot in the Auto, but in my old XR8, it would do it every time. This could be a suspension thing also??

Mals, is there not even wheel spin with traction control off in the auto? Couldn't find the button at time of testing. (But I eventually did, and felt like an idiot!)

And yes a suspension thing could possibly contribute. As a rule of thumb, the 'harder' the suspension, the easier it is to break traction. In drift racing, the bump valving in the shocks is very harsh, and so breaking traction is easy. I dunno if this type of theory applies in this case, but they do have the new suspension in the Turbo, so I guess it may be possible that the AU XR8 hard harder suspension.

Any one else got an idea? or something to add/correct me on?

• Member For: 21y 10m 14d

It will break traction, depending on the road surface, higher up the rev range, but that is normally if I'm truning a little. But if I stop, and and plant it (straight line) it doesn't even look like it would break traction, and doesn't really feel like it has the power down low to do it either.

Anyone one else have comments with regards to this (Auto only)

Mals BA XR6T Posted: Jan 6 2003, 01:04 PM:

It will break traction, depending on the road surface, higher up the rev range, but that is normally if I'm truning a little. But if I stop, and and plant it (straight line) it doesn't even look like it would break traction, and doesn't really feel like it has the power down low to do it either.

Anyone one else have comments with regards to this (Auto only)

Cheers for the reply mate. Hmm it's pretty strange about the no wheelslip thing. Maybe its because its pretty much the standard engine and no turbo until at least 1,900 - 2,000RPM. I would still think that it'd be enough to slip just a little. Guess it hasnt. Perhaps its the gearing of the auto... I think that first gear has a similar ratio in both boxes though.......

oh well, I still get 2 this awesome car and I save on my tyres! :lol: