Fg F6 Test Drive

turbocorty

• Member For: 18y 2m 19d

Our local FPV salesperson had a story for me along similar lines regarding traction.

Apparently when FPV were developing the FG F6 they managed to get 4.8s 0-100km/hr times. Then when they had their pre/early-production samples they were struggling to beat the 5.1 from a standard FG XRT.

The difference? The development FG F6 apparently had extra equipment in the boot for performance analysis.

The solution? They dumped some weighty stuff in the boot and were able to get their 4.8 times again.

The story sounds a little too pat to me but I would believe the punch line - if you can get the FG F6 to have traction off the line it should nail sub 5 seconds.

Would be an interesting conundrum. How much extra weight is optimum on the back wheels for a 0-100 sprint? What about a quarter mile (where the start matters slightly less and the extra weight being carried further would matter more).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Under-garment member
  • Member For: 16y 3m 6d

I would LOVE to see Wheels or one of the major mags get, say, the W427 & FG F6 and swap the rears; crappy 245 dunlop's for the Expensive Daewoo and sticky 275 potenza's for the Ford... then watch the Ford wipe the floor with the Holden.

The magazines are happy to do these things in Holden's favour, like when Motor refused to test the VY 'S' Late model camira to it's Falcon equilivent, the XR6, because the pushrod wank would have got beaten so badly. Motor chose to test the supercharged version against the N/A XR6, where it should have been up against it's equilivent, the XR6T.

It's funnt that the N/A XR6 still beat the blown Commodore.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 1d
Phoontastic,

Yeah its a crap generic tune - it made sweet f(^% all difference and added a heap of issues like traction control now sh*ts itself, the high speed fans are on even at low temps.

Wow, I feel like a winner! - I paid over $600 to gain a whole heap of problems. - A capa "Generic tune" should be "Rock solid performance, proven and tested".

I will not accept that capa cannot make a generic file that works on all totally standard Typhoon's / Xr6T's. Ford has done it - every car produced has a generic tune.

I still smell a rat...Provide a crap tune, let the tuner upsell a custom dyno tune for $500 +.

I need to go in a corner and cry...I feel violated!

cheers

Yeh Turbocorty, I hear your disappointment. A custom tune is really the only way to go. Save the pennies and invest in one from a reputable tuner and you won't look back. It will transform the car without any of the problems of the generic tune.

• Member For: 21y 5m 8d
Would be an interesting conundrum. How much extra weight is optimum on the back wheels for a 0-100 sprint? What about a quarter mile (where the start matters slightly less and the extra weight being carried further would matter more).

Bugger adding weight, just throw on a set of drag radials. Problem solved.

• Member For: 18y 2m 19d

Well agreed but it's hardly stock then is it?

I was thinking more about the endless argument between HSV and FPV fans as to which has the fastest cars.

It's still stock if you throw an extra few kilos in the boot but if you put slicks on then you've changed the game.

Edited by Mist

• Member For: 21y 5m 8d
Well agreed but it's hardly stock then is it?

I was thinking more about the endless argument between HSV and FPV fans as to which has the fastest cars.

It's still stock if you throw an extra few kilos in the boot but if you put slicks on then you've changed the game.

I'm talking super sticky street legal tyres.

Edited by Venom XR6

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 26d

My argument has always been to put exactly the same tyres on each of the cars and then test them. A much fairer depiction of results IMO.

Its no different than having a control tyre like other forms of motorsport in that regard.

It should then stop all arguments and bitching over a tenth of a second.

• Member For: 19y 2m 20d
The magazines are happy to do these things in Holden's favour, like when Motor refused to test the VY 'S' Late model camira to it's Falcon equilivent, the XR6, because the pushrod wank would have got beaten so badly. Motor chose to test the supercharged version against the N/A XR6, where it should have been up against it's equilivent, the XR6T.

by no means am I having a go at this, as I NEVER believe what the mags say anyways, but if they are in "holdens favour" all the time, they would match the 315 BOSS with the 317 LS3 ... I think the LS3 would wipe the floor againist our BOSS 315

F6 rules anyways, best aussie built car since the GT-HO IMO :outahere:

• Member For: 18y 1m
race em as you brung em mate. The W whatever wank machine is a better car, good luck if you can afford obne.

Scotty

That's very debatable, just cause Expensive Daewoo want to rip people off and charge excessive amounts, for what is basically a tuned Commodore, doesn't make it a better car.

To my mind, the F6 has yet to be tested properly, nor have we seen any real times acheived on the strip. And vice versa. Look at history and you'll consistantly find Fords (and many other brands) consistantly acheiving better times in private hands, while the Holdens rarely even get close to the magazine times.