Fg Xr6t Manual Rattle

murray

• Member For: 17y 6m

I don't have the rattle, but I have lost the clutch a few times on hardish take off, (lost as in the I pressed the clutch down but didn't come back up,scary times,and a very bad smell like the clutch plate was burning, done 2800km's,will be telling the dealer on 3000k service

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 2m 24d
What kind of sh1ts me though is the drivetrain noise/rattle while under load at low revs in 1st and 2nd - most noticeable with the window down. It sounds very much to me like a noise we used to get in Patrol diesel utes which we attributed to the springs in the pressure plate (unsure of terminology here) rattling as a result of the load and engine vibration combination. I had assumed it was clutch noise becuase of this but maybe I'm hearing what you guys are describing as gearbox noise??

Hey there, I am getting that rattle noise in my FG at really low rpms as well. It makes a 'diesel like' rattle noise when accelerating in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th at low rpms. (below 1500rpms)

I wasnt sure if it was my motor sounding like a diesel or my gearbox..... but from reading these posts it must be my gearbox. I havnt worried about it too much as the noise was there from brand new. When I first drove it out of the dealer's I noticed it then.

The noise is most noticeable if you load the engine up a steep hill, have the window down and have a building to bounce the noise off. (ie a steep driveway).

Is anyone else getting this 'diesel sound' as well??

The motor/gearbox is smooth, I dont get vibration through the shifter and once warmed up the shifts are not baulky for me, I do get a little bit of driveline lash if I am not driving smoothly.

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 4m 3d

I think everyone experiencing some noise or other from their gearbox is probably the same issue.

Different people compare it to different noises but in essence the noise is the same thing.

One thing I haven't tried yet, but will next service, is changing the oil to a synthetic oil.

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

Benny, that noise is normal mate in manual cars (Diesel noise). Your loading up the motor to much. The sound I am talking about is completly different to that. If you have it in a to tall gear the motor viabrates a sh*t load because your trying to drive a tall gear at low speeds. The sound I was getting is a rattle in the gearbox even up to 4000rpm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 22d
Hi Micheal, I average between 10l per 100km to 13l per 100km. Those figures would be 30% traffic 70% highway. Usually around the 11.5l with easy driving and ocasional squirt. If you start giving it hell all the time will go up to 15l per 100km.

What are you achieving and what revs do you usually change gears at. Im aroung the 2800rpm depending on hills and sh*t like that.

Hey there, I am getting that rattle noise in my FG at really low rpms as well. It makes a 'diesel like' rattle noise when accelerating in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th at low rpms. (below 1500rpms)

I wasnt sure if it was my motor sounding like a diesel or my gearbox..... but from reading these posts it must be my gearbox. I havnt worried about it too much as the noise was there from brand new. When I first drove it out of the dealer's I noticed it then.

The noise is most noticeable if you load the engine up a steep hill, have the window down and have a building to bounce the noise off. (ie a steep driveway).

The motor/gearbox is smooth, I dont get vibration through the shifter and once warmed up the shifts are not baulky for me, I do get a little bit of driveline lash if I am not driving smoothly.

I get that exact noise (sounds like diesel) below 1500. Doesn't really bug me except in car parks when it sounds crap (I should get some one to drive so I can see what it sounds like as a pedestrian). I asked ford and they said the manuals are all like that but no danger to gearbox. I think I can live with it, I just keep it above 1400. (5th and 6th is fine - could it be the double syncro?)

But if anybody finds a fix (or a cause) I would be all ears.

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 4m 3d
But if anybody finds a fix (or a cause) I would be all ears.

I'm going to be trying full synthetic trans oil next change to see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't then I'm happy to live with it.

The other extreme alternative is to gut the car and apply copious quantities of noise suppression material to all panels. :+1:

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 10m 15d

Hey guys

Ive recently purchased an fg xr6 turbo manual

I too have noises all over the place the car is now going in to get

my gearvbox and clutch replaced as it is making a whinning noise

and a clunking noise from a loose tail shaft

• 1 month later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 24d

hey guys I also have that same clunking noise I have had my ute lowered and now they wnt even put it on hoist to look at the ute because I have so called modified the ute and they say that is y it is making the clunking noise.... and also it bloody sounds like a old diesel truck as well ......

Edited by 08xrute