Fg Xr6t Manual Rattle

murray

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 23d

Every noise in every Aus Ford is always within manfacturers tolerance, or their techs simply can't hear it. If they can, then they can't after you leave the car with them. A BF will make the same horrible squeaking sound going over a bump or a rise in the wet that XAs and XBs used to, back then it was the upper outer ball joints, god knows what it is 30+ years later. But knowing Ford it will be the same thing. Denial and a lack of customer service or ignoring component development is cheaper in the short term than fixing anything.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 4m 24d

Got he new gearbox and it feels 100% better so gearbox had some problem but yeh the noise that we all seem to be getting is still there.

It Went to the dealership today they went over it and are going to look into it.

• Member For: 19y 10m 12d

I've yet to find the time (or be bothered) to go complain to my dealer again but have you guys found that the gear level vibrates like crazy? In my 3 manual turbos they all had a bit of movement which doesn't bother me at all but in the FG the gear stick vibrates excessively at idle and while cruising. It's fairly annoying and almost bordering on uncomfortable.

I'm convinced that either the gearbox or somewhere else in the driveline there is a massive imbalance causing the vibration and possibly the clunks/rear end diff vibration.

Of course as Hypno said, getting a dealer to come clean is near impossible (in Melbourne at least). The last time I complained and gave them specific and localised points on where the fault was coming from they responded with "we tightened the rear suspension, its all good"...haha

• Member For: 16y 22d

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum.

I've had my FG XR6T Manual just over 3 months and done 6000km.

I was lucky enough to get the first XR6T off the line from the Broadmedows Plant, man was I wrapped :) which also being a new car I expected the car to have small problems here and there.

For the first 2 weeks the car was fantastic. Until one weekend I open the bonnet and have a look around the engine and checked hoses to make sure nothing is slipping off and what do I find? A loose hose clamp on the exhaust port off the turbo. The pipe that bends down to the intercooler just came off with little force I was so lucky to find it because if I was on the road and open the throttle that pipe would have slipped off then the turbo would have over spun and properly would have blown.

So I tightened up the hose clamp and everything was fine.

As to the Gearbox, It is normal for the gearbox to be clunky because it needs to be run in. it takes up to 7000km to be fully run in but when you take it in for the 3000km inspection they will adjust the clutch and after it gets better and softer.

After the inspection my gearbox also started to rattle when in neutral with the clutch depressed but not all the time so I took it to the dealer to have a look and it didn’t rattle so they couldn’t do anything if it’s not happening so I went home. After a few weeks I noticed that it will rattle when it idles and the RPM dropped about 50 to 100 RPM which then the engine started to shake a little which then the rattle in the gearbox starts. The RPM will drop after you fang it around so if you drive it calmly it won’t happen.

What I would like to know from you guys is what Range do you get out of a full tank and what are your averages?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 4d

Sounds like they never really attempted to fix the old issues and just thought they could manage thei way through the issue with the new model. Either that or the boxes have an inherent problem. Either way, the consumer once again has to put up with mucking around, going back and forth to get another box put in, which may or may not be better.

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

Hi Micheal, I average between 10l per 100km to 13l per 100km. Those figures would be 30% traffic 70% highway. Usually around the 11.5l with easy driving and ocasional squirt. If you start giving it hell all the time will go up to 15l per 100km.

What are you achieving and what revs do you usually change gears at. Im aroung the 2800rpm depending on hills and sh*t like that.

• Member For: 16y 1m 13d

Hi all, I'm another newbie to the forum.

I picked up my manual FG XR6T 3 weeks ago, have put about 1300kms on it so far. While I absolutely love the car, I'm still a little concerned I've made the wrong choice of the manual over the ZF...

I fully expected it to be a bit truck-ish, after all the box is supposed to be designed for 800Nm. From day one I've had the "clutch depressing rattle", mainly only noticeable on 1st, but you can hear it in neutral too. I was thinking something along the lines of PhantmXR6 about this one, so not too worried, and you can drive around it farily easily. I also noticed the vibration through the shifter, which was a bit alarming to start with but I've grown used to it.

What kind of sh1ts me though is the drivetrain noise/rattle while under load at low revs in 1st and 2nd - most noticeable with the window down. It sounds very much to me like a noise we used to get in Patrol diesel utes which we attributed to the springs in the pressure plate (unsure of terminology here) rattling as a result of the load and engine vibration combination. I had assumed it was clutch noise becuase of this but maybe I'm hearing what you guys are describing as gearbox noise??

I also get two noises in the cabin from the shifter - one is the vibration causing the leather boot to squeak, and there is a seperate (and louder) squeak coming from below somewhere, which directly correlates to the vibration of the shifter, and which I suspect is a dry gearbox rubber mount. It is getting progressively louder to the point where even my gf is whinging about it. I will climb under on the w/e to try and lube it somehow.

Overall though, I could deal with the various noises if the bloody thing shifted OK - unfortunately I haven't been hugely impressed thus far. It's obstinance through the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts makes smooth driving in traffic almost impossible, particularly when cold. When it's cold the engine also hesitates as I release the clutch/reapply throttle, which exaggerates the whole lack of smoothness and makes me look and feel like a learner driver. Hopefully this can be solved at it's first check-up if they re-flash it.

I'm hoping it will get better and smoother with some more kays like Michael said - the one thing I can say is that I'm not experiencing any back-lash to speak of, so mine might just have been built "tight".

I don't want this to look like a massive whinge - the car is fantastic, and I haven't had any problems thus far, I just want to make sure my manual issues are no worse than anyone elses!

Fuel-wise, I've averaged around 12L on highway driving and 16L around town, average sort of driving with occasional squirts, I'm sure it will get better as it loosens up.

Apologies for the epic post.

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

hey mate all noises seem normal except the noise which is getting louder and your is hearing also. I think that is the noise I had in which they changed my gearbox. My first to secind change is a little rough but the rest are good. Ill be getting an auto in the next one I think. Although the manual is a great gearbox I recon, just a little rough around the edges

• Member For: 16y 1m 13d

OK, thanks for that, will keep an ear on it.

The shift is definitely a LOT better when it's warmed up properly, which makes me think the right trans oil could be the key. Seems Transmax Z is the go for the old T56, anyone used it in their TR6060 yet? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone getting good results out of a particular oil in this box. How long do I need to keep the OE oil in?