Fg Xr6t Manual Rattle

murray

• Member For: 16y 6m 1d

G'day All,

Thank you to everyone for replying, although it is sad to hear this is happening to other people, it is comforting in a strange way.

Nashy, you mention your dealer is intending to replace some parts after contacting Ford......do you know which parts they intend to replace or are they doing the whole gearbox?

FG-XR6T, I have heard about this 'Neutral Rollover' & also 'Cold Clash' however my car does not suffer from this problem (touch wood). Please let us all know the result once the new gearbox is fitted.

Timbo, I must agree......It is very embarassing when taking family & friends for a spin. I get some strange looks, but I reasure them it is a performance car & it is 'supposed' to do that.....I almost believe myself, I've said it so many times :drool:

In my opinion, the noise is caused by excessive backlash in the gearbox. As 1st & 2nd gears are quite high ratios, once the clutch pedal is depressed, the driving force is suddenly released and the gears rattle against each other. From 3rd gear up, the ratios are smaller and therefore the difference between neutral and driven is smaller, causing the level of backlash do reduce. This is just my opinion, I have no evidence to support such a claim.

I am of the opinion these gearboxes are either built out-of spec (excessive backlash) or they are built as per spec & Ford needs to revise the specification.

Thank you once again for your replies, hopefully we will hear of some successful outcomes with the guys getting their gearbox's fixed.

Regards,

Murray

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

Yeah the rollover in my car is there when the car is cold but fades away. I still find it hard to belive they can call that normal. Will let you all know how the new gearbox goes next week. I recon my rollover noise will still be there but the noise in the gearbox will hopefully disapear.

• Member For: 16y 9m 13d
G'day All,

Thank you to everyone for replying, although it is sad to hear this is happening to other people, it is comforting in a strange way.

Nashy, you mention your dealer is intending to replace some parts after contacting Ford......do you know which parts they intend to replace or are they doing the whole gearbox?

FG-XR6T, I have heard about this 'Neutral Rollover' & also 'Cold Clash' however my car does not suffer from this problem (touch wood). Please let us all know the result once the new gearbox is fitted.

Timbo, I must agree......It is very embarassing when taking family & friends for a spin. I get some strange looks, but I reasure them it is a performance car & it is 'supposed' to do that.....I almost believe myself, I've said it so many times :spoton:

In my opinion, the noise is caused by excessive backlash in the gearbox. As 1st & 2nd gears are quite high ratios, once the clutch pedal is depressed, the driving force is suddenly released and the gears rattle against each other. From 3rd gear up, the ratios are smaller and therefore the difference between neutral and driven is smaller, causing the level of backlash do reduce. This is just my opinion, I have no evidence to support such a claim.

I am of the opinion these gearboxes are either built out-of spec (excessive backlash) or they are built as per spec & Ford needs to revise the specification.

Thank you once again for your replies, hopefully we will hear of some successful outcomes with the guys getting their gearbox's fixed.

Regards,

Murray

Mate...

I dont have an FG but I have a November Build XR6T BF MKII that had pretty much exactly the same problem. Like yours it had a very disturbing rattle on throttle that resonated through the gear stick destroying any other enjoyable sound you could possible get from driving your car. Took it to President ford in Elsternwick they told me it was normal and shoved FOAM down the gear stick shaft (which they didnt originally tell me) and said to go away its a ford enjoy it.

Clearly not excepting this explanation I called ford head office made a official complaint and then took it to Ethridge Ford as I hear they have a better reputation then other dealerships, got the foreman to have a drive with me while I drove it. The key however is to kick up a big stink to Ford H/O so the rep that looks after you follows up every stage with the dealership putting pressure on them to make sure they get the job done right. They'll do this because any bad remark on their record shows in their history. He agreed that it was not normal... tried to fix it... it was ok for 2 weeks then it sh*t itself again. Took it back and they put a brand new one in for me. Its been great ever since... you can still on low revs hear the hash roll over noise and you can still on idle hear the thrust bearing shaking around but most of that goes away when the car warms up and you have the clutch down.

Point to this story is.... make them put a new gearbox in your car!!! you dont pay good money for nothing!

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 4m 3d

Ok. My turn.

I've done 6400kms in mine and have also noticed a couple of noises coming from the gearbox/clutch area.

Firstly the 1st and 2nd gear noise.

I could hear this and it got slightly louder after the first 3-4000kms.

More noticeable when the oil was up to operating temp than cold.

It was definately gear whine as I expected the gear teeth to 'bed in' for the first couple of thousand kms anyway.

It only got to a certain degree of loudness, for choice of a better description, and didn't get any worse.

Ok, I thought, lets try changing the trans oil when I get a service done at 5000kms.

I didn't know that the trans actually ran Dexron III auto trans fluid in it, until it got serviced either.

Anyway. New oil was put in it and the noise is still there, but it is ever so faint that you can't actually hear it unless you know what you are listening for. I've asked people that I have taken for a drive to see if they can notice a noise and no one can.

I believe the noise to be an engineering fault that may never be completely eradicated. Besides, for the box to handle 500+nm of torque all the time everything needs to be reasonably heavy duty. Noise will always be a byproduct.

Secondly the clutch noise when engaging and disengaging.

I can't prove it but judging by pedal feel and noise I reckon it's the hydraulicly actuated thrust bearing assembly contacting the fingers of the clutch. I've tried engaging and disengaging in neutral slowly and then rapidly and you can hear the 'bite' when doing it rapidly. Once again, I believe this to be a noise by design, not fault.

My mind is at ease with the transmission for now as it gets a fair bit of grunt put through it.

If a noise that doesn't sound quite right starts to appear then further investigation will take place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 6m 1d

G'day All,

Nashy/FG-XR6T, Just wondering how you guys got on with your service department. Did you get the entire gearbox changed? Result? I hope you guys have had the problem resolved.

Adding to my own situation, I now have the 'Neutral Rollover' sound, only present in neutral with the clutch pedal out. This one doesn't bother me as you can barely hear it, only if you give it a little blip, then it's quite bad.

Thanks guys.

Murray

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 15d

Apparently the engaging noise you get on the FG's has something to do with a spring in the clutch that is too small. Ford know about it and they are working on a fix for it. I have been told that there is no danger to the driveline or operation of the clutch, just a litle loose.

If I hear anything else I'll let you know

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

Hi Guys,

Got the entire gearbox replaced and the noise is still there but not as often. Have contacted the dealership again and will be going in again soon. Im driving it for now to see if it becomes as bad as the last one? I dont think its the gearbox making the noise. PO