Fg Xr6t Manual Rattle

murray

• Member For: 16y 6m 1d

Hello everyone,

I picked up my new FG XR6T last week & absolutely love the car. Ride, Handling, Steering is just superb & the engine.......brilliant.

It is however not all good news. My car is a manual & I have an issue when changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and also when crawling in 1st gear and coming to a stop.

When depressing the clutch pedal to change gear there is quite a disturbing rattle coming from either the gearbox or the clutch. This noise is not evident from 3rd gear onward. It is most pronounced during the 1st to 2nd change, reduces to about half the intensity on the 2nd to 3rd change. It is also very loud when the car is rolling in 1st and you depress the clutch to come to a stop (ie: in stop/start traffic, creeping a few metres each time).

I took it to my dealer and one of the mechanics drove the car with me alongside. The mechanic said it was completely normal & referenced the old BA/BF models as being well-known for having this issue. My problem is, he focused on the noise occuring when jumping on and off the throttle leaving the car in one gear. He said this was backlash in the gearbox, and I completly agree with him. I was already accepting of this (I can accept some noise, this is a performance car after all) and this wasn't my complaint.

I was complaing about the much more aggressive rattle sound when the clutch was depressed in the two lowest gears. Although the noise was there with the mechanic driving, it wasn't as severe. I put this down to the service people knowing how to drive these cars super smooth & making the minimum noise. When I take it back for a second opinion I will be driving it.

My question is, has anyone else with a FG manual experienced the same or similar sound. Can any of the more experienced members provide assistance with the possible cause and advice if this is indeed 'normal'.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,

Murray

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 4m 24d

I found my fg making a similar noise when depressing the clutch and I also found a rattle in the gearbox when cruising in one gear.

Guy I bought it from came for a drive heard the noise and the fact the gear box felt looser and not quite right.They didn't even look t it they rang ford and are simply replacing the parts.

• Member For: 19y 10m 12d

Mines the same Murray, seems a bit more profound than my 2 previous BA's but not 100% sure as I had a 12mth gap between the last BA and this FG.

I think it just comes down to poor build quality from Ford and not putting enough time and effort into building these things well. I don't reckon the manual Holdens do it anywhere near as bad as the Fords, but then again those things don't have the I6T so win some loose some!

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

Hello Boys,

I have done 3000km's in my FG Turbo and I love it but I have to say I will not be buying another manual XR6T. I will be going for a ZF box in the next one. I first heard a sound pretty much straight away when I first recieved the car. It was there when the car was cold and sitting at the lights idleing there was a rattle. I took it to the dealership and they told me this is normal it is rollover noise. I accepted this because the sound isnt to bad. Arfter about 1200km's I started hearing a sound under any type of acceleration in 1st or 3rd gear. I must point out, under any acceleration even when babying the car. I lived with it for a further 1000km's but eventually took it back to the dealership. Same man came with me for a drive and it didnt do it for the first 10 mins. I almost gave up but then it started doing it. As soon as it happened, he said that it is not a normal sound and in 1 week I am taking the car in and they are replacing my whole gearbox. Do not get me wrong, I love the car and will be definatly gettting another one in the fiture, but it will be an auto.

• Member For: 18y 2m 27d

I have taken my car back to the dealer to get this problem fixed , they have pulled the box out and had a look around and were going to relpace the clutch but when the spoke to ford about it, ford said not to bother cause the problem would still be there a few other dealerships have tryed this and had no luck with getting rid of the noise . My dealer told me ford have made a note of the problem and apparently are working on a proper fix to the problem .

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 17d

it sounds like it could be a bad thrust bearing but I couldnt explain y it doen't do it in 3/4 4/5 though

dont u just love these sorts of issues :buttrock:

• Member For: 16y 6m 20d

The rollover noise is in all new FG XR6T's. But the second sound is not normal. MY dealer took other FG;s for a drive with same amount of K's and he recons it wasnt there? We will find out when I get the new gearbox. Either way for a 50K car it shoulnt be there?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 26d

Hi there everyone,

I have had my FG XR6T ute for 2 weeks and absolutely love it!! I haven't had the problem with the rattle "as yet!!", however I have noticed the "clunking noise" pretty much from day one! It is evident in 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd gearshifts, and when pulling up at the lights and depressing the clutch. I sat it in neutral at the lights and just pressed the clutch in and out whilst waiting to go and it still had the same noise (although not as full on). I originally thought it was backlash in the diff but after hearing it whilst sitting at the lights I thought it is something to do with clutch or gearbox...thinking it may be a thrust bearing problem etc.

After checking out other forums "with no mention of this issue" good to hear that I am not the only one!!! I have put about 950kms on it and was prepared to take the car back this week to get this issue checked. It is a VERY STRONG CLUNK and a very annoying, especially when demonstrating to family and friends how my new pride and joy runs!!

I am aware too that it is essentially a performance vehicle and that the clutch is designed to bite hard.

I hope mine doesn't develop the same rattle that fellow T drivers have faced however I will be keeping a close eye on everyone's comments and thought's on the matter. I have really babied the ute and varied revs, load on the motor and not taken it past 3500rpm. I have accelerated hard to 3500rpm on a few ocassions and only dropped it into second gear (chirping it) on two ocassions...it's hard not to be addicted to the acceleration...as you are all well aware of!!!! lol

I too will be taking the car back to my dealer this week to get it checked!!

Thank you all for your comments and please keep us posted on how you all go with this issue!!!

Happy driving

Timbo

Brisbane Qld

Edited by Boog72