Help! Tricked Up 4spd Auto's

JETFPV

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d

once again... wouldnt have a clue to be honest.

its at its worst at the strip... just after I launch it say at around 4000rpm( probably just before 60ft) it dies in the arse then gets up and goes.

the same thing also happens in 1st and 2nd gear at around 5800rpm on the street, and it also happens on the street.

have tried almost everything to get rid of these limits.

just going to save up and keep on driving the box until it dies, then depending on how the cash situation is looking, put a powerglide in or get the 4spd rebuilt again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 9d

Sounds like 2 torque limits coming to play there...

1st one sounds like the stall convertor limit set to 4000rpm..

the second one sounds like either throttle rpm limiter, or shift torque limit (using throttle control)..

without datalogging, or seeing the car, I can only speculate

but given your autos making noises in 1st and 4th, that's your plantery's eating away.. it would be in your best opinion to stop driving it now and getting it fixed as your just sending metal through your box.

• Member For: 18y 5m
a 6speed auto will cost you a decent amount yes, but it will require a massive change in wiring looms, abs module too I believe, and various modules reprogrammed to make it work..

At the same time, the shifting in the 6speed autos cannot be manipulated greatly, and eventually will shag out much like Mauz's 2 boxes did.

a freshened up 4speed auto, tuned right, should easily be able to take 350rwkw with decent reliability. A number of cars I know of are still going strong on their 4speeds.

If you were to push the limits over 400, different turbo etc, then yeah.. a 4speed might not be upto the task.

Whats happened to Mauz's ZF????????

Thought his box was going great since the rebuild??????