Help! Tricked Up 4spd Auto's

JETFPV

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y 4m 23d

WELL ITS ONLY A THREE SPEED FOR STARTERS, no ecu control so it will be like driving an xD falcon with a built box and big power good for playing up , not much fun for every day cruisin

you can get an overdrive for them but dont know what they cost

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 5m 30d
I thought the moral of the story was don't bother wasting your time and money with the 4 speed auto, if you're chasing number's?

No reason why you can't have 350rwkw treated nicely and tuned properly pumped through a 4 speed and not run quick times. But you're right, chasing times, it is really a waste using a 4 speed. You got to take into account budget and intended purposes for the car.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 9d

I've just smashed my plantery's for the second time. But I do drive my car around on ET Streets all the time.

When the box comes out saturday morning we'll find out the cause of the broken plantry's, Last set we pulled apart was due to the oil pump drive sh*tting itself. Lets hope mines the same! :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 1d
So any word on the price of a bulletproof C9 or is it what was said earlier 7g, and sort safe power with em, also what are they like for cruising as it wont be just for the drags.

Cheers

Mark

Even a "bulletproof" C series will have it's limits. Our cars are fairly hard on the driveline because of the weight and torque. This puts a huge strain all all drive line components. 500+ rwkw and 850+nm pushing around 1800kg will tend to do that.

From my recent research, a C series can be made to handle the 500+rwkw I require, but it would still need regular maintenance and in the end be less reliable and more expensive than a Powerglide. Even so, you srengthen the trans and the strain is shifted elsewhere down the line so you will need to look at the tailshaft, axles and diff. You can get a 1200hp Powerglide, converter and Gear Vendors overdrive for around $7500. Not only would this be a stronger, more reliable and in the long run cheaper alternative to a C series, but with the Gear Vendors you get 4 gears with a true overdrive 4th for economical cruisng. Maybe not 2000rpm at 100 but a whole lot better than 3000rpm at 100. Somewhere around 2250rpm at 100 depending on the overdrive ratio you choose.

I'm budgeting 10k for complete driveline and I think it can be done for this with some work being done myself. But it will be an awesomely strong race setup (1200hp trans with transbrake, billet axles and tailshaft = massive launches!) yet still maintain driveability and fuel economy via a lock-up converter and overdrive 4th. that's my theory anyway...

Edited by straughsberry

• Member For: 16y 3m 21d

So if I was after around 350rwkw would it be worth it getting a ZF 6speed conversion which I think is about 10g if it can handle the power nearly as good as the C9 and is more of a everyday sort of driver with. And im not trading up to the BF as got too much cash stuck in my Ba already.

• Donating Members

a 6speed auto will cost you a decent amount yes, but it will require a massive change in wiring looms, abs module too I believe, and various modules reprogrammed to make it work..

At the same time, the shifting in the 6speed autos cannot be manipulated greatly, and eventually will shag out much like Mauz's 2 boxes did.

a freshened up 4speed auto, tuned right, should easily be able to take 350rwkw with decent reliability. A number of cars I know of are still going strong on their 4speeds.

If you were to push the limits over 400, different turbo etc, then yeah.. a 4speed might not be upto the task.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d

about 2 kill my 2nd kewish rebuilt 4spd auto.

sounds like a truck on its air brakes in 1st and 4th.

im going to be going a 2 or 3spd powerglide with a decent stallie when it dies.

car is only making 334rwkw.

I wouldnt worry about doing up a 4spd, not worth it.

• Donating Members

What your describing there is stuffed plantery's.. Your box is dead now, I wouldnt drive on it until you get it swapped out.. all your doing is sending metal through the entire system.. Not good, and much more costly at repairs.

was your plantery's swapped out with PRE-BA plantery's? also was the front pump also swapped out in the previous build?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d

wouldnt have a clue to be honest.

I just dropped the car off and picked it up. was sent to kewish..... twice.

not going to bother with another 4spd. having a bit of trouble with torque limits that we cant seem to get rid of.

so by going down the powerglide path I will totally eliminate torque issues. might even be able to crack a 10 while im at it

• Donating Members

There's no reason why you cant crack a 10 with a 4speed.. Many people have done it. I believe Dion has done a 10.20 odd in a ute(read: heavier than sedan) with a 4speed auto.

torque limits are easy to manipulate, both torque truncation and shift torque reduction. via throttle shutting and or spark retard..

What torque limits are posing the most problem?