Rubber That Will Hold Please

qik1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

g'day boys, ive just got my car back from the go fast shop with good results but now I have major traction issues!!! I want to keep the stocker look with the factory rims at least for the moment. I have base model federal (nearly new) that were brilliant up to this point but just are not handling it. does anyone have suggestion for tyres to suite the factory rims that will give me a chance to get up & go. have thought about semi slicks but cant find an appropriate size & I do do abit of highway driving (on crap roads) so its not a good wear situation. can I go to a slightly wider tyre if necassary?

thanks john

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 28d

While semi slicks will give a lot grip they will not last long. what sort of budget are you looking at per tyre?

have thought long & hard about semis but the highway trips which do are at least once every 2 weeks sometimes more so I think they would be stuffed before I could get any good use ouut of them but as far as budget I havent thought much into that but theres no use spending all the money I have & not being able to use what ive gained!!! but would love to look betwee 250 - 350 if possible because they may not last that long!!!

took the car for abit of a run at lunch & im sick of sideways (never thought id say that.) after abit of research have decided to go to dunlop sp sport maxx to fit standard 17/235/45. cost 304 a tyre fitted. does anyone use these & what do they think of them. kept with the standard size because 245 were 440 a hit. gets fitted tuesday.

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 17y 3m 21d

I just found out the Federals that im ordering in a 265/35/18's are the new RS-R model as apposed to the older RS model. The RS-R has a lower tread wear rating then the RS model, 140 as apposed to 180. So sounds like the RS-R maybe a softer tyre compound cause its not gunna last as long as the previous RS with a tread wear rating of 180.

as long as the thing holds on it should be alright especially since your thing sees buggar all highway work. dont care if mine wear abit quicker as long as they hold on to the road so I can enjoy what ive got. what did they slug ya for those?

• Member For: 16y 9m 7d

Hey Mate

Best value for money tyre I can suggest for the standard rim is the bridgestone potenza adrenaline 235/45. Im rolling them with 440rwhp, 2nd gear starts to break traction up top, but after that im good. If you can afford potenza RE050A 245/45 I would go them. You are lookin at $250 for the adrenalines and $300 plus for the RE050A.

Cheers

Adam

its amazing how much the price goes up in 18' plus even on standard 17" with the 245s. I nearly fell over when he said $440 for the 245 & only $304 for the 235 so you know what I went for!!! I know im not gonna hang on like on semis but anything has to be better than whats on there now. they say there there high performance tyre but I cant believe the jump up not that im complaining. cant really blame the tyres they have done well up til now & they arent breaking up just not hanging on. if the tyres are any good (hang on for dear life) I think I will be sticking with the stock rims just for the price of rerappin them!!! spend the money on the next lot of go faster bits.

• Member For: 17y 8m 4d

mate go with the semi`s... @ 500rwhp you will be lighting them up every time you put your foot down so you will wear them out VERY quickly doing so...

if you run semi`s, they dont spin up and last much longer despite them being a softer tyre which should technically wear faster... this is assuming no wheelspin though, of which you have plenty...

dont belive me, that's cool... but I know which tyres you will be buying second time round, ill put money on you buying semi`s after you blow these new tyres in 3months... :icon_ford: