Surging At Cruise Speeds?

kissy

• Member For: 17y 6m 5d

Ok what I think I’ve narrowed the problem down to is a faulty O2 sensor, as the surging only happens when the car is cruising, the car is using closed cycle cruise mode. So if the O2 sensor is intermediately giving out the wrong voltage it will cause the engine to run to lean or rich causing the surging and loss of power.

So on the weekend I’m going to replace the O2 sensor and see if that fix’s the problem.

• Member For: 17y 6m 5d

Well it turns out it was the oxy sensor, the wire's were caught under the heat shield and rubbed up against the exhaust manifold. this caused one of the wires to wear all the way down to the conductor. This wire also happened to be the signal wire!! So the signal wire was earthing out against the manifold, thus the ecu getting the wrong signal!

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 9m 18d
Well it turns out it was the oxy sensor, the wire's were caught under the heat shield and rubbed up against the exhaust manifold. this caused one of the wires to wear all the way down to the conductor. This wire also happened to be the signal wire!! So the signal wire was earthing out against the manifold, thus the ecu getting the wrong signal!

I've got this Problem on a 2002 BA XR6T. I have had it to ford quite a few times and they can't pinpoint it, although we have changed 3 coil Packs, TPS. They checked fuel pressure,turbo the coils again, reflashed it etc

Occassionally car stalls completely and check engine light comes on. It happens when cruising or with min throttle. This is particularly the case after coasting and then apply min throttle. Codes logged are running too rich & too lean.

Is there a code logged for oxy sensor gone?

Any ideas much appreciated