Some Suspension Set Up Info....

Erko

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 10d

I was worried about a 22mm bar on the back coupled with heavier springs, so went for a 20mm bar instead and 27mm on the front. Car is very neutral with great turn in. Still fine tuning it and as I have adjustable shocks may dial in a bit more firmness. Ride is still excellent though.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 19d

Getting my bilstiens and king springs fitted today also getting 27mmm adjustable front and 22mm adjustable rear sway bars fitted and new bump stops on the front, ride hieght will be about 5-10mm lower at front and about 20mm at the back to level out the car I have been told by king springs. I will let you guy's know how it feels when I get the car back tonight. Although it is bucketing down in Brisbane so I might only get wheel spin. At least I will be able to see if the axle tramp is totally eliminated or not.

I decided to leave the lower cotrol arm bushes for now and see how all the others parts do. I like a firm ride but don't like teeth chatter

• Donating Members

The car has been set with both the sway bars at there softest settings.

I have noticed the car doesn't dive under breaking at all from what I can tell.

as for the axle tramp if I am in first gear and take a corner it will step out and spin the wheels without any tramp whatsoever at all. in a straight line however it still does tramp about 30% of the time now which is better than the 100% before, it makes me think there is some issues with the grip levels on the standard tyres.

Funnily enough FPV rang with some more information on the axle tramp out of the blue and said it was to do with grip levels of the tyres, I told them that I changed the suspension and hav ealmost fixed the problem and he said that was not within the oem standard and cannot cover it under warranty as a fix. As if they were going to bring out a fix for it anyway.

I have to do some deliveries tommorrow so I will be able to get a good feel for the car and play around with some setting over the weekend to see if I can eliminate some more tramp, I only drove the car home from the suspension place so haven't had a good play yet but it is defientely better :gunsfiring:

• rob327
  • Member For: 16y 6m 6d

top thread lads... very informative...

I was going for the 27 front bar and the 22 rear... but now im not so sure... I was hoping to get teins one day... rekon kings will do?

• Donating Members

I love my kings on the car and was about $1200 cheaper than a set of tiens

tiend are $2600 at fulcrum

I paid

$1050 for bilstiens

$370 for springs and front bump stops

$850 fitted including front and rear adjustable sway bars and wheel alignment etc.

I almost kept my standard ride hieght (-10mm approx) but levelled out the car no need to worry about

car park wheel stops :stirthepot:

you may pay a bit more than these prices as I bought most parts direct through bilsien and kings.

ohh did I mention that now when the car is sideway drifting there is no tramp, very very happy

Edited by myti4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 17d

ok, time for an update.

this relates to "serious" handling if you like, rather than street use.

I've been talking with a guy who set up the only serious XR6T track car that I know of (in QLD these days) and he had a hell of a time getting the car set up right. In the end, the set up was 1200lb/in front springs and 850lb/in rears matched with custom valved konis (really serious ones, not the yellows - apparently this set up cost $4k) with a 30mm front bar - stock rear bar. These are huge spring rates, seeing stock is 450/250 and even the highest rate teins that I am running are 670/436. I did some testing at Wakefield 2 weeks back and the tein/27mm set up was very good however the car was falling over the outside front wheel, really loading it up and killing the sidewall.

When I discussed the testing with this bloke he said "let me guess, car is falling over front outside wheel?" ..spot on. Now part of this is due to the soft sidewall street tyres and I can help to alleviate this with alignment tweaking and also removing some of the forward rake by raising it 10mm in the front and this will be an improvement and good enough for the timebeing (mind you the car is already miles ahead of stock, so its still bloody good for a falcon) However, due to the weight of the big fella, the only thing that is really gonna solve the issue is some serious spring rates and custom valved dampers...I will look to head down this path in the future....just not this year as I will be buying a house soon!

Cheers

Rob

Guest EGOXRT
  • Guests

Just as a matter of interest, the stock spring rates (ba mk2) are 68n/mm or 388lb/in and the rears 38n/mm or 217lb/in measured on a load cell..

• Member For: 17y 4m 29d

called a few places today and got a qoute for 1865 for king springs and bilstein shocks fitted is that a good price or should for a bf or should I call around a few more places

• Donating Members
Just as a matter of interest, the stock spring rates (ba mk2) are 68n/mm or 388lb/in and the rears 38n/mm or 217lb/in measured on a load cell..

thanks for this. not far off the 450/250 that we beleived

• 5 months later...
  • Donating Members
ok, time for an update.

this relates to "serious" handling if you like, rather than street use.

I've been talking with a guy who set up the only serious XR6T track car that I know of (in QLD these days) and he had a hell of a time getting the car set up right. In the end, the set up was 1200lb/in front springs and 850lb/in rears matched with custom valved konis (really serious ones, not the yellows - apparently this set up cost $4k) with a 30mm front bar - stock rear bar. These are huge spring rates, seeing stock is 450/250 and even the highest rate teins that I am running are 670/436. I did some testing at Wakefield 2 weeks back and the tein/27mm set up was very good however the car was falling over the outside front wheel, really loading it up and killing the sidewall.

When I discussed the testing with this bloke he said "let me guess, car is falling over front outside wheel?" ..spot on. Now part of this is due to the soft sidewall street tyres and I can help to alleviate this with alignment tweaking and also removing some of the forward rake by raising it 10mm in the front and this will be an improvement and good enough for the timebeing (mind you the car is already miles ahead of stock, so its still bloody good for a falcon) However, due to the weight of the big fella, the only thing that is really gonna solve the issue is some serious spring rates and custom valved dampers...I will look to head down this path in the future....just not this year as I will be buying a house soon!

Cheers

Rob

Gday Lads,

thought I would add some more info on suspension ideas and stuff

img0009zu2.jpg

img0010nn3.jpg

These are the "extreme" coilovers mentioned above. Fronts are Zeal/Endless Super Function R's with King Springs and rears are Tein with Eibachs......all custom valved and specially selected spring rates 1200lb front / 850lb rear.

________________________________________________________________________________

Now, on the issue of "rake". This means that one end of the car is sitting higher than the other. In very rough terms, if you are sitting lower in the nose than the tail the car has more static load on the front springs, meaning a lower effective spring rate and MORE understeer. The reverse is also true of course.

When I was at Wakefield last, the car was folding the front offside sidewall.....at the time the car had forward rake of about 1.5-2cm. I have now raised the front up a bit and the handling has noticeably changed. I will do some more testing but I reckon with our heavy front ends, ideally front should be about 10mm higher than the rear. Initial testing suggests that this issue of rake is very important on these heavy cars and results have been very encouraging so far.

I will post up some alignment info soon.

Edited by Erko