Injector Scaling

• Member For: 20y 2m 10d

Just wondering, someone with tuning knowledge may be able to answer this.

Say you have a factory standard car, on the factory tune. You fit 50% larger injectors and now need to modify the ECU to rescale the injector size.

Is the injector size a simple value in the ECU, or does the tuning software you use (e.g. CAPA, the sniper one etc.) take the new scalefactor and multiply all fueling values by this scalefactor?

Also, if it is just a simple value, once youve changed that, will the car run approximately the same AFRs or does it need further fine tuning?

• Member For: 16y 11m 26d

my question is can the ecu handle the bigger injector... what I mean is most (and I say most cause I have not researched everything out there avalable) only recommend a upgrade to 42lb injectors for our cars... but lost of poeple run the 60lb items with little problems. or is this not true? my haltech intercepter for example can not control a 60lb injector at idle, as it can't drop the pulse lower enough making the car flood. the capa flash also only advises not to use a 60lb....

I have 60lb injectors waiting to fit them but have to ditch the haltech, inpreferance of a flash box... not really cost affective for an injector swap.

should I go back to a 42lb and continue using the haltech or spend the $1200 odd getting the flash, custom tune and injectors fitted.... bearing in mind 300rwkw is all I am plaining on getting to before stopping the mods.

sorry for long crap story...

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 30d
sorry for long crap story...

Don't apologise...

That's nothing compared to what will come. :stupid:

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 14d

ive had 42lb injectors fitted to bfmkii & was putting out roughly 345rwhp (cai, capa ft & custom tune) but have recently decided to go alittle nuts & have a few other things done keeping the 42lb injectors which has got me 430rwhp so if you dont plan on goin further than that dont bother. the 60lb injetors according to my tuner can cause idling issues (something about pulse lengths at low revs) & wil affect fuel economy. im only now having to go to 60lb injectors due to the mod bug making me put phase 3 in but ive forgiven & accepted it!!!

There is fairly complex formula used too work out injector scale,its not as easy as just putting no.s in drop me a pm if you like with all the injector information and I can work out the scaling for you,and JMPIN I reckon you are far better off getting rid of your Haltech and doing a custom tune with the flash box,have had many happy customers with the same situation as you and been far happier with custom tune & box after switching from the Haltech interceptor.

• Member For: 16y 11m 26d
ive had 42lb injectors fitted to bfmkii & was putting out roughly 345rwhp (cai, capa ft & custom tune) but have recently decided to go alittle nuts & have a few other things done keeping the 42lb injectors which has got me 430rwhp so if you dont plan on goin further than that dont bother. the 60lb injetors according to my tuner can cause idling issues (something about pulse lengths at low revs) & wil affect fuel economy. im only now having to go to 60lb injectors due to the mod bug making me put phase 3 in but ive forgiven & accepted it!!!

FLARE6T: what you are saying is exactly why I have not bothered to put them in yet.... what you doing with the old 42lb'ers????

There is fairly complex formula used too work out injector scale,its not as easy as just putting no.s in drop me a pm if you like with all the injector information and I can work out the scaling for you,and JMPIN I reckon you are far better off getting rid of your Haltech and doing a custom tune with the flash box,have had many happy customers with the same situation as you and been far happier with custom tune & box after switching from the Haltech interceptor.

Yes I know im better off with the Flash box than the haltech... im getting there, just had lots of other experiences preventing it... in saying that I think I 42lb'er would suit me better, what do you think.

the 60lb injectors I currently have are the seimans decka's from one of the group buys.

who is your tunner

no tuner at the moment as since I got the car the haltech has been there.... I did ask C&V a price to rip the haltech, supply flash box, custom tune and fit the 60lb'ers.... was what I thought was a good price. but still dont need the extra fuel consumption the 60lb'ers give as has been mentioned.

If you guys can do me a good deal I would be more than happy to give my business to you... as you seem to be happy to give advise.

as you know, rip the haltech out, suppy flash box, custom tune and fit injectors (be it 42lb'er or 60lb'ers)

PM me..... cheers :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 7d

There are some interesting stories going around. OK, the Siemens run "fat" down low, more like 115lb injector according to Simon. And what are these idling issues exactly? If your tuner told you they cause bad fuel economy then ask him to prove it! I went from 190rwkw to 315rwkw on the Siemens and my fuel economy has improved by at least 1.5L/100km city cycle and 1L/100km highway cycle. Would you call that poor fuel economy?

More than 100 sets have been sold via group buys and no doubt many more directly from tuners and parts shops. Don't you think that if there was any truth to the rumours of bad fuel economy and "idling issues" we would know via members reporting that fact back? What, suddenly after years of this injector being used we are just discovering they have bad fuel economy and poor idle? P-lease!