Best Tyres For Xr6t On Stock Rims

Howsee

• CNUTOX
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 20d

Trent you're a *beep*!! Trying to get me in trouble with good mate Ivy!!!

According to my last phonecall with the man, he was more like a front runner than a michelin man, but then again, he could be telling porkies and look like a porky!! lmao

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 16d
G day Cro, what sort of milage did you get from the PP2's ?? and did they start going off towards the end of their life, I know from experience that some tyres are real good for half their life span then drop off dramatically.

I am running Intensa's at the moment and have done atleast 20k on them and still some tred left on them, however the performance is rapidly dropping off almost daily now. Not realy complaining though, they have been good tyres for a long time now. Im still debating which tyres to get on my standard 17's

Cheers DG

About 30,000kms including a track day. I know of other members getting 40,000km+

As most tyres they are never as good at the end of their life than at the beginning, but they will still be better than the alternatvies.

• Member For: 19y 10m 1d
I wish I was a Michelin rep, I could have saved myself a lot of money...

I could have saved more by staying true to Michelin and not wasting my money trying other brands cause I always end up dissapointed.

I'm now running some Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics, and can't believe I wasted my money on these elastic bands. A good tyre no doubt, but no where near as good as the PS2's I had previously nor the PP2's I ran on the Falcon. :(

Cro

I'm interested in your thoughts on why the michy's PS2s/PP2s are better than the F1 Assys. There's a test over on tirerack that rates the F1's as better than the PS2s. I don't believe tests as gospel, as different cars and different tyres etc probably respond differently. But would have thought that the PP2 would have been blown away by the GY's as the PP2s would be a class below that bunch of tyres ?

Pls don't take this the wrong way - I haven't driven much on decent tyres, and really none of the above, so I'm first to say I'm interested in others real world experiences - especially in Falcs/xr6ts.

TIA

ws

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members

I bought the Goodyears because Michelin was out of stock of the PS2's, and based my purchase purely on the tirerack and evo magazines review of the GY's. The thing I have come to realise about these reviews is that they were performed on tracks, road surfaces are completely different and therefore the tyres perform differently.

I've been through the snowies (along the same roads) in exactly the same conditions (heavy rain) three times in the last 5 months, first and second time with the PS2's and now recently with the GY's. I have become used to taking corners at specific speeds when I had the PS2's, corners I remember vividly (especially on the Elliot way). I couldn't achieve those speeds with the GY's, trying to would bring on understeer (not to mention a hell of a lot of tyre squeal) without ESP/TC and an undrivable car with ESP/TC turned on. The steering characteristics also changed, with the GY's affecting the precision. With the PS2's I was consistenly able to point and shoot, push the car further and further, without setting ESP/TC off every corner.

The GY's fall down massively in comfort too. After the car is parked for a few hours the tyres develop flat spots that take about 5 or so km's to dissapear, it results in a ride similar to having a very shoddy wheel balance. At hwy speeds the tyres are noisy, they just don't roll as smoothly as the Michelin Pilot's (preceda2 and sport2).

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric are definitely not in the same class as the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, so naturally the next best competitor is the Michelin Pilot Preceda 2.

They both have similar performance characteristics, however the PP2's are quiet, smooth, offer precise steering and are cheaper.

Contrary to what people thing I absolutely hate Michelin, they charge through the roof for the top level tyre (PS2), and I have been let down time and time again by their pathetic stock controllers. Unfortunately they also make the best product, and at the end of the day that is all I care about.

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 7d
About 30,000kms including a track day. I know of other members getting 40,000km+

As most tyres they are never as good at the end of their life than at the beginning, but they will still be better than the alternatvies.

A tyre worn to the legal limit has more traction then a brand new tyre, however this only applies in dry conditions for obvious reasons.

I.B.

• Member For: 19y 10m 1d

Thanks, Cro! That's exactly the sort of thing that should be in test reports etc.

With this rain in Sydney, I'm tempted to ask what the most pothole resistant tyre is. Where I am, there's so many potholes popping up, I drive around like :headbang2:

ws

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members

I can't help much there... I've never had a blow out from any tyre.

I have however bucked two rims running Dunlop SP3000's (back wheels), whilst the rims running Michelin PP1's (front wheels, previous generation pilot preceda) were fine.

This was on Nerriga road between Braidwood and Nowra, was the roughest gravel/dirt road I've ever driven on.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 3m 14d
PP2's cost just $230 per corner :idunno:

And they will outstrip all other tyres available in 235/45/17 for performance, including the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics.

Just phoned two tyreplus stores for prices on 245/35/19 Michelin Pilot Preceda pp2 tyres $680ea and $600ea

So wont be getting them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 7d

Cro and his posts above appear to be the best reccomendations going. Are you 17 or 18's?? Im in the same boat and running out of rubber from the original dunlops. They have, however, done the job well and have lasted 45k.

I.B.