Mr Man

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 20d
It's great! Although I don't know why everyone didn't opt for the shorter stick. It makes such a massive difference.
The shifting is a lot quicker and easier. I've had to adjust the way I drive it's that much different. I still haven't gotten used to pulling the clutch out quicker to rev match.
It sort of clicks into gears. I can rest my fore arm on the console and 'flick' it into gear with the wrist. You can't hear the grinding noise at low revs too.
It just feels 10x stronger; like you could give it absolute hell and it would just click straight in.
The only issue is that the old knob doesn't line up properly, so 1st gear looks like it's pointing out the passenger window lol
I love it and would recommend it to anyone. These cars should have come standard with that shifter.

Thanks again Mal.

And also, if anyone is in Melbourne, Ross from Autotechnique knows how to do them in about an hour and a bit now. They took 3 hours on mine to figure it out, but now they know, and he'll charge about $100. Just let him know that Mal Wood and the dude with the silver F6 told you to go there. :crybaby:

• Member For: 16y 7m 29d
haha my first gear is pointing out my window, and 3 hours? damn thats long... i found a old topic about installing one but didn't want to attempt it myself so i went to a mates workshop, took him about a hour, main problem was getting the knob off the stick, it was like they welded it on!

Yeah they had to put some deep marks in it and wrench it loose then they machined the marks out.
They hadn't done a T56 before, so Mal gave em some tips :spoton:

Great shop too, very clean and very reasonable pricing (Autotechnique). Edited by R-SPEC

• Member For: 16y 8m 3d
Thanks for the reviews guys. Is there a way to fix the problem with the gear knob angle? Would you have to cut the thread deeper on the shaft or something?

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 10m 5d
Just wack a bit of teflon tape round the thread or get some small washers to sit on the top and screw it down adding and removing them until it sit's straight.....

[i](Bit of blu tac will hold them in place while screwing the knob on).[/i]

Yeah Arnold at the Ethridge Ford the service dept has ordered me a new gear knob because the leather was all knackered. He suggested the washer idea and he told me one of the mechs would do it.
He loved the shifter too!

• Member For: 19y 2m 7d
To fix the fact that first gear is pointing out the window, use some threadlock, it is what the factory do and hence why it's a barstard to get off. I did mine last thing at night, I pulled the knob off (clean mind thanks guy's, even though mine is usualy filthy), poured some threadlock into the knob and then screwed it back on lining it up correctly. It cured overnight and was right in the morning to use. You only get one shot at it, even though I used a low strength threadlock, I can't budge it with my hands.