555.6kw Ba Ute

xradam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 9m 22d
It seized ?

nah it didnt seize it got smokey when you let your foot off (reall smokey) and sent it away to get fixed. the report came back and said due to alot of heat it burnt oil seals and scorched the bearings which was a full rebuild. which was as much as a new turbo. It was set up properly, the only thing I can think of is it was a bit small for the power I wanted and it was always run out of its eficiency range...it was only a 1000 hp turbo and that's at the engine and it was pushed a little beyond that and maybe because I had I beenie on it. I was a bit harsh on turbonetics there good I should have probably got a bigger one like a y2k 88 just a bit pissed it only lasted 5 minutes (5 months actually).... but that's ok new turbo should be here next week and then really see what it can do.... sorry about the spelling im only a dumb plumber.

The GTK range is also available with water/oil cooling a better combo imo

it is now not when I got mine

I got a 1300hp garret on mine but through a huge converter so it robs a lot of power un fortunately

it has a motec with anti lag and on the road just clutch it to get going and drawing black lines everywhere :roflmbo:

These turbos are ceramic coated on the exhaust housing aren't they? How come you decided to put a beanie on it?

I didnt now much about what a beenie did I thought you just stuck them on everything.......... my bad... I found out after a bit of research this was not the case and should have been a heat shield if anything. I read this in this forum somewhere actually.... I dont know what the new turbo needs but hi torque will sort it.

I guess anti-lag didn't help its lifespan either :buttonit:

only used it while tuning to see how much boost we could get at idle (10 psi) never used it a the drags yet I still have the standard diff in it and didnt want to leave it on the start line. new turbo new diff and see what happens

sorry not at idle.... with the clutch in... about 6000 rpm I think

Argh dont say that I've got Kent fitting a GTK1000 on mine.. :roflmbo:

its fine for around 600hp just dont keep winding it up to 750 everywhere like I did... mine just got pushed a bit hard and was right at the limit.

• Member For: 19y 1m 26d
I didnt now much about what a beenie did I thought you just stuck them on everything.......... my bad... I found out after a bit of research this was not the case and should have been a heat shield if anything. I read this in this forum somewhere actually.... I dont know what the new turbo needs but hi torque will sort it.

only used it while tuning to see how much boost we could get at idle (10 psi) never used it a the drags yet I still have the standard diff in it and didnt want to leave it on the start line. new turbo new diff and see what happens

sorry not at idle.... with the clutch in... about 6000 rpm I think

its fine for around 600hp just dont keep winding it up to 750 everywhere like I did... mine just got pushed a bit hard and was right at the limit.

whole point I went with teh GTK1000 is because I wanted to make same power as yours:D. It's all good we've contacted the turbonetics guy and they're swapping mine for a wet bearing version with oil and water cooling. For daily duties I'll keep it at around 600rwhp but for dyno queen/drag duties I'll be winding up the boost so hopefully have over 700rwhp.

Also my manifold is same design as yours but with bigger runners(which I think you've got now) which kent reckons should help make the power.

We'll see, I've got another week long wait now for the wet bearing turbo, if that doesn't do what I want I might just have to follow in your foot steps and move up to the bigger garret item.

Edited by summoner

it is a better choice to go with the water cooled one and that turbo makes good power without too much lag.. cant wait too see how the new manifold works I will stop buy when the boys tune it