555.6kw Ba Ute

xradam

• Member For: 16y 9m 23d

I have heard about harmonics, engine has been fully balanced so I guess time will tell. Having very few people in this horsepower area you can't just ring a heap of shops and expect to get the correct answer on how far to rev it, at present the car make power to 7k with atomic cams I don't believe you would still be making this power at 6600rpm. This is just my opinion not fact.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m 6d
what does your tuner think about reving it to 7000rpm? is it gonna last? In BCL`s car they changed the crank and some other 'secret' stuff to let it safely rev to 7500rpm... apparently these engines have very poor harmonics at those sorts of rpm- that's why very few people tune them to rev so hard... bessides the oil pump gears that is...

We changed the crank in my car because 3.5 years ago we had no idea how much torque a stock crank could take, so changing to a custom billet crank was a precaution (and very expensive).

However, I have never had an oil pump gear problem, even though it'll rev to 7500rpm. Other cars with stock cranks have oil pump gear problems going to 6500rpm.

So having a balanced crank has helped a lot.

However, my harmonic balancer recently did fail recently, so a heavy duty item is a precaution for high revs.

Also, as a rule of thumb with a good turbo engine I like to have a minimum of 3000 usable revs. The big tubo shifts the power band to higher rpm, so in this case you have good power being held from 4000 all the way to 7000rpm with fall off, which is good. Although there is not much under 4000 you can drive it most of the time without getting yourself into trouble.

Brian

What is the acutal issue with the rpm's, is the crank flexing ?. If not & the rotating assembly was balanced properly there wouldn't be an issue.

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m 6d

I hope Simon at Nizpro doesn't mind, but I'll quote from his forum:

ref http://forums.nizpro.com.au/showthread.php?t=57

We have never seen a standard crankshaft fail unless a rod has failed first. That being said the standard crank is actually too light and is not fully counterweighted. When I say too light I do not when overall just in the wrong places. In fact even Brian’s is too light which is one of the reason the balancer has failed. Th e main way to help this is now using Titanium Connecting rods along with a lighter weight piston while still maintaining strength. Of course using normal materials and being able to still have the strength able is not possible.

We are currently looking at the possibility of casting our own cranks to our own design to help these problems and still be cost effective. However this is 8 to 10 months away along with the viability of build short engines and the amounts are yet to be determined.

• Member For: 17y 8m 16d

Is there anyone else out there with a billet crank? Unless you get a larger turbo like BCL's, will the standard turbo run out of puff before you reach 7500rpm?

I find this topic interesting, I mean obviously a turbo which comes on boost at 2000rpm to 7500 would be the ultimate. Probably only possible with a twin set up.

Alf

• Member For: 16y 9m 23d

PLJ59 has a motor built by hi-torque and its 500rwhp on std turbo turning to 6800 I believe that is out of puff. (this car also has cams)