#ElectricalEngineerWizardOfNothing 

• Like 2

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 26d
On 29/07/2018 at 9:50 PM, k31th said:

worst admin. Doesn't even night shift :P

I do so

in the morning when I wake up I check the sh*t talk from the night before :)

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d
1 hour ago, JETURBO said:

Yes as long as you DO NOT pull more than 10 amps at  240v

FTFY ..... Derp 

#ElectricalEngineerWizardOfNothing 

Yep , half asleep when posted. I think Rab knew what I meant..

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 22d

Ok ya pair of wire twisters... I've got 16 amp rcd's on all of my outlets even though they have the smaller ground.

Why shouldn't I plug in a 15 amp appliance, like my welder or aircon? 

An electrician told me I wouldn't have an issue with the house wiring and with that advice in mind I can't see any issues.

I've only ever had a 16 amp circuit break when I've had the washing machine, the drier, the dishwasher and another appliance on, like the kettle or microwave. I've never had issues, otherwise.

Ya's are saying not more than 10amps but why? I'm not a professional wire twister and I've been bullsh*tted before with the wiring, so I'm interested in a more truthful explanation. 

#commonsense

#stayalive

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

10A is the norm because multiple outlets on the same circuit.  But if nothing else was on the same power circuit 2.5mm cable and the run is short 16A no problem.  15A outlet and appliances have large earth because they need to be plugged into individual (separate) circuit. Ie only one item on the circuit.  

• Thanks 1

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 20d

go to Coles for our weekly shop today

don't need much cos been eating leftovers

make joke to Mrs BCB about the Christmas stuff still in the shelves (where is the Easter stuff)

go to checkout ------------------ hot cross buns on a stand next to the checkout !!!!!!!!!!!!

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 20d

It’s “Mainly” to do with the internal contacts and switching capabilities of the GPO .... it’s a 10A single or double GPO installed in 99% of domestic dowelings 

power CCT’s can have a number ( and that specific number is a calculated figure from The wiring rules AS3000 and 2008 with “De rating” corrections applied ) of GPO’s attached .... say x5 double GPO’s that can handle “Technically” 100A but only a 16A cct breaker... doesn’t make sense does it ? The process is the breaker protects the cable ( and a 2.5mm2 cable over 100mtrs can handle much more than 16A-Typically ) and the GPO can handle whatever is plugged into it AND the fact “Typically” you’ll never use all GPO’s flat out drawing big current at the same time. That’s why you’ll pop a breaker when you do start loading things up ( Dryer, toaster,kettle, washing machine at the same time - that said a good installation will always have separate ccts for laundry and kitchen areas ) .... a 10A GPO can only handle 10A worth of demand through the contacts and switch on the face plate 

“Hence” why bigger appliances have the 15A plugs on them with the big earth stub/prong , but that said you might have a Welder with a 15A plug but only draws say 9.8A on 75% load or 11.2A flat out ( we don’t always need a welder running flat out ) 

if you were to file down the earth stub/prong or replace it with a 10A plug top you could use it successfully in a shed where that GPO is not going to be run all the time ( or even for an extended period ) and almost guaranteed not to be switched off by the face switch whilst flowing the full load demand. 

that's why “most” electricians will say “shell be right mate” lol 

IF you had say a big A/C window unit and planned on running it for extended periods of time that was a 15A plug top there’s every chance it’ll cook the internal contacts of a 10A GPO and would require a dedicated 15A GPO and CCT wiring 

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1