The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Ok I'll detail it betterer.

They teach the various driving aids that cars have, ESC, TCS, radar etc. They outline how these systems work and the effect they have on a car when they are activated. They talk about the issues that may present when these driving aids are disabled, and warn how touchy and potentially unpredictable a high performance car may be when fully unleashed.

They discuss how some cars will have semi slick tires and how those tires have less grip until warmed up, and that you won't get them up to temp in normal driving conditions. They further say that a high performance street tire is a better option for street driving.

Part of the course is teaching awareness about the individuals state of mind and emotions when driving a fully sick car. You may show optimism bias when you're happy and cruising and this may lead to a lack of care or a heightened sense of ability. They talk about driving and the effect emotions have on our actions, and the fact that a high performance car will far exceed the speed limit in a very short time frame, and how these factors increase the risk of dangerous driving.

Braking systems are mentioned and it is said that despite having massive brakes, the leading factor of actually slowing down is the grip between the road and the tire. Massive brakes will endure repeated high speed stops but don't make the car stop any quicker. People see big brakes and think the car will stop instantly, but if you've bought a cheap set of tires the brakes will easily overpower them and you won't slow down quickly. 

One thing they talk about is general driving of a hectic car and how you should drive normally. This includes overtaking, you are not supposed to exceed the speed limit when overtaking, yet I'm sure we all know how fast you might go if you floor it past someone.

Another factor mentioned is a lack of visibility in some cars, and that is all I CBF writing for now.

Edited by Puffwagon

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

which is all really common-sense stuff for any "reasonably" powered vehicle that you can figure out in the first few km of driving one... would be hard to find a person driving a performance car legally who doesn't understand those concepts, I'd wager. Appreciate you adding the detail, though... one thing I take opposition to is the fact that you're "not supposed" to exceed the speed limit when you are overtaking, but this is near-on impossible to adhere to, in practice; in actual fact it's far more unsafe to be on the wrong side of the road for longer while overtaking than getting it done quickly then slowing back down... of course any law-maker and/or law-enforcer could easily give you the book for doing it "safer", either way. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Yes I agree it is safer to overtake quicker and I will continue to do what I do. I tried the slow overtake today and the mofo sped up by 15kph and was tailgating me when I got to pulling back in:gun2:

You say you'd be hard pressed to find someone, yet someone killed Sophia Naismith, a 15yo girl. This is the reason these laws are being passed.

Most people are farking retarded, and the optimism bias of performance drivers is showing in your post, not that I'm having a go at you mate ;)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

just understanding the concepts, I'm talking about, not saying humans aren't fallible, including myself... easy to get into trouble even knowing the concepts and how to apply them.