How Embarrassing!

Rhonel

• Member For: 16y 9m 3d

Hi All,

I own a BF MKII (Update) XR6 Turbo Nov 07 Build & I have just had my fist break down! I’m currently at 5,700 km’s & I was on my way home from picking up the misses from work & about 25 - 30 mins into the drive (M5 General Holmes Drive) Mid – High traffic and the car cut out!! I was in first gear start stop traffic and when I was slowing down (after clutch coming out) the revs went all the way down and stalled, I then tried to start the car again thinking that I stalled but when I started the car again the revs went to around 800 – 900 rpm so I thought sweet, I put my foot on the accelerator and the car would go to about 1,000 rpm and cut out so I repeated around 4 -6 times as you can imagine the traffic building up during peak hour and people shouting at me to get off the road. Lucky for me a tow truck was about five cars back from where I was and pulled In front of me to see if I needed help.

So he stuck his head in the car to watch what was going on & asked me if I had fuel (yes but low 55 k’s till empty) & if the car was overheating (just under half) I then did it again and he said it must be a ECU problem?….. but was a bit puzzled as it is a new car. After about 5 -10 mins the car started but the revs were lower then normal and every time I slowed down the car would drop down to 500 rpm so we went to the servo & put $50 of BP 98 Ron fuel and cooled down the car. I call road side assist (Offered to New Ford owners for the first 12 months) and was informed-

1. that my car was not on there systems even after giving them my VIN

2. Did not know what NEO was when asking what the colour was

3. Only provide a tow for up to 20k’s (I was about 45 k’s from home)

4. Offer a courtesy but only if your car is over the value of $60,000.00 (I bought mine for $57,000.00)

5. Was told that it only applies if it is a real emergency (Why would I call?)

And to add to that the woman on the phone was a smart ass!!

I drove home from the servo praying it wouldn’t happen again….. the revs still quite low dropping down to 800 – 900 rpm when slowing down, but managed to make it.

I can’t believe this would happen after changing from a Magna (current shape) with no problems to a car that’s worth three times more.

Thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No warning lights, no smoke coming from the engine bay, no fuses blown.... nothing that’s why I’m so puzzled.

Forgot to add that I just went for my first free service at 3,000 k's and the car passed with a clean bill of health, do they actually check if the ECU is ok / or do anything, Or is this free sh*t just for show.

Just had a quick look in the engine bay and even the oil is still fresh (yellow) and all fluid levels are full steering, coolant, oil (even the air filter still looks brand new)

Just wondering if I take it back to Ford would they be able to-

1. Find & tell me the problem

2. Does the car ECU log that a problem has occurred?

3. Can they run a diagnostic check to find & fix that problem

4. reprogram the ECU

I’m also worried that if im already having a problem at 5,000 k’s what’s the longevity of my car going to be?

• BIGRED
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 11d

lol the person u spoke to for roadside assistance isnt actually ford its NRMA so she wouldnt have known wat neo is...I know I work for RACV and we take alot of the new car roadside assistance calls sometimes the dealership doesnt put your details on the database that's why your details didnt come up. that roadside program should have got u free towing to the nearest ford dealership.

Just to clarify, I went for a little drive this morning and the revs are idling at 750 rpm but when I slow down at lights (clutch in) the revs drop down to nearly 500 rpm and then it go's back up to 750 rpm.

What is the normal idling RPM?, I dont remeber it being that low

Ill be contacting Ford today to see what they can do to fix this problem.

• Member For: 17y 7m 24d
Just to clarify, I went for a little drive this morning and the revs are idling at 750 rpm but when I slow down at lights (clutch in) the revs drop down to nearly 500 rpm and then it go's back up to 750 rpm.

What is the normal idling RPM?, I dont remeber it being that low

Ill be contacting Ford today to see what they can do to fix this problem.

Normal mate mine does the same.

Hate to say it but is just sounds like you ran to low on fuel. I work for RAA and late model cars when they run out of fuel can still idle ok but as soon as you raise the RPM then cant supply enough fuel.

Not long after I picked the car up new I was pulling up to the lights put the clutch in and it stalled on its own. I did start again right away however but has not done it since. Oh yeah and I wouldnt take any mechanical advice from a tow truck driver :spoton:

All the best,

Joel