Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 15y 6m 4d
Ok, I know fuel consumption has been discussed before, but this has been buggin me for a while:

Firstly, I own a manual and my average fuel consumption is usually around 14-15L/100kms. My driving style is fairly normal - usually change gears around 2,500 - 3,500rpm, but I usually give it a bit of stick at least once every drive.

My question is what sort of fuel consumption are the auto XR6T drivers (with the same driving style) getting? Is there any difference? What is the norm for auto and manual?

Also, when cruising along the highway doing 110km/hr my XR revs around 2,250rpm in fifth gear, and it seems like the car needs another gear. What RPM do the auto's sit on when cruising at that speed??

Ben

• Member For: 15y 6m 4d

I had a BA XR6 N/A 5sp ute made in Jan 2003 and averaged mid to high 13l/100k on mixed city and highway driving, from memory I got 550k's at the most per tank (85 ltr) driving conservatively. I was really annoyed at it when guys I knew who had XR8's got the same mileage.

I've just bought an 06 BF MKII XR6T auto sedan with 35k on the clock and on my second tank average 12.6l/100k and it gets driven a little less conservatively lol. Go figure lol.

ZF's are amazing :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 6m 26d

I have a fair few mods (larger intercooler, CAPA mod and larger dump pipe) but still manage to get an average of 14.3 l/100km. Can go as high as 15 around town but mostly to/from work and average about 50kph. If I am cruising I can get it to about 13 l/100kms

• Team Octane
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 2d

Mines sitting around 9.4L/100 mix of town and highway. I wouldn't say I thrash it, but it gets pushed here and there. Up to 28000km on the clock now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 8m 10d

G'day ice186,

My wife and I swapped cars 3 months ago, and here's what I observed. BTW I have a '04 BA XR6T 4sp auto stock.

Myself - half the time cruising on freeway at 100 kmh, half the time stuck in stop-start traffic. Occasionally give it some stick, when I get the opportunity, but kept within speed limit. Result a fairly consistant 14 l/100km.

Wife - No freeway cruising, mostly short local trips, more extended idle time. Almost never pushes it (but loves it when she does). Result varies 16 to 19 l/100km.

In my observation it seems that the T is extremely sensitive to driving style and that range can vary greatly.

Last summer when I drove from Melbourne to Apollo Bay twice, it returned 11 l/100km overall. Interestingly I filled up before leaving, and along the long flat straight of Princes Fwy btw Melb and Geelong, its average dropped to 8.8. But as soon as I encountered stops through Geelong, it rose up to 12, before settling down to 11 for the remainder of the trip. Also I noted no improvement in consumption whenever I've used 98 Octane, apart from a bit more grunt, so I've always stuck with 95 oct since.

My 4sp auto revs at 2,200 at 110 kmh, not much different to your 5sp man. However your new 6sp auto I would expect should have a taller 6th gear than this. Also its reasonable to expect that the newer the model, the less they guzzle. The FG is supposed to be better still.

Edited by tab
Quote removed