Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 20y 4m 26d
How much difference do you think there would be in fuel consumption on these 3 cars.

Toyota Hilux 2x4 2.7L

AU 4.0L

BA 4.0L

I need to get a ute for work and don't want to spend more than $20,000. I was just going to get a Hilux but the prices are still fairly high on a 2nd one ($15-18 for a good one). For under $20,000 you can get a really good AU XLS or maybe a XR6 for that or a base BA. These are obviously a better car to drive and have a great interior but the engine is twice as big. I just want to drive to work and back and put a bike in the back occasionally. Hilux's hold there value really well too where Falcons are not so good at that. I suppose that when you buy one under $20,000 it is the other person who lost the most so it isn't that bad I guess.

Which would you all get? (Please no anti hilux posts. They are good cars for what they are) Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would choose the BA, the humiliation of driving a hilux is to bigger price for me to pay.

but seriously for you to think of a hilux, I would say it is the best for you, as they say you can't break it. and it will get better fuel consumption.

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 27d

I think you get more for your money in a AU/BA compared to the Hilux. The standard features are much better.

If you buy an AU ute make sure you take it to a Ford dealer and get them to flash the PCM with a sedan calibration. The utes closed loop fuel table is different being a commerical vehicle and once changed to a sedans closed loop table it will be much better on fuel.

Ford run the same tables in both utes and sedans for the BA.

• Member For: 19y 2m 29d

Hi Scotty,

I had a 2.4lt petrol Hilux which was a good little ute but very thirsty, at best 26mpg on a trip. I don't know if the 2.7lt is any better, somehow I doubt it. I also had an AU XR6 which was an excellent ute and driven sensibly was better on fuel. I would personally go for the AU XR6 if you can find one in your price range because there's no comparison when it comes to standard inclusions and comfort. Besides, you'll pick up a lot more chicks in an XR6 than a Hilux!

Cheers,

Steve

• Member For: 20y 7m 14d

Hi scottie,

I had a mazda Bravo, 2.6L petrol for 4 years. A co worker had the hilux. They were pretty similar features wise......bland (tradesmen dont need all they bells and whistles really do they). The Bravo was pretty gutless, it went well though with a load on the back, and after driving the hilux would say they were pretty even. My co worker also said they were basically the same in how they drove.

Now I have an XL BA and would highly reccomend it. Comfort and features are miles ahead. Petrol consumption atm is 13L/100kms which is slighlty less than the bravo, with double the power under my right foot :laughing: If I gave the bravo a good squirt around my bus circuit I could literally watch my petrol gauge drop. No dramas with the BA so far so ifu can stretch your budget, get a falcon.

hope it helps ya mate

eMPee

• Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom!
  • Member For: 19y 11m 22d

I have had two new 4x2 Hilux 2.7L petrols (company vehicles).

They both had good power for a 4cyl, but the engines sound very coarse and unrefined. Fuel economy is average and both of them burnt out the valves at 80-100 thousand k's. Seems to be a known problem with them if there driven a bit hard.

To drive a BA after one of these would be chalk and cheese, and certainly overcome the small difference in fuel economy. Go the Ford anyday!

Clarke

• Member For: 21y 8m 27d

True what they say about unbreakable but you have to flog the guts out of it all the time to get anywhere.The motors are course and dont like to be taken anywhere past 4 grand but again will last forever.

You should be able to pick up a second hand AU2 XR6 ute for under 20K which would be good value.You can get rid of the style side rear and get a nice tray put on to take some load.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 7d

Just because it has a smaller capacity motor does NOT mean it's more economical.

I had a string of jap 1 tonners, and they are NOT easy on juice.

They had quite low gearing, to compensate for the lower engine, so were constantly in need of higher rpm to get around.

Guest SteeleFalcon
  • Guests

Jap stuff is ok I have had a few company utes a mitsy a hiyuk and a ford van they were all povity pack interior and when it comes time for spare parts get out the wallet . Its still cheaper to buy parts and for fords and holdens.

Oh I just bought a ba m1 t ute with 28000ks on it and have not driven a ute anything like it come think of it not even any sedans :msm: ive been in.

• Member For: 19y 5m 9d
Just because it has a smaller capacity motor does NOT mean it's more economical.

I had a string of jap 1 tonners, and they are NOT easy on juice.

They had quite low gearing, to compensate for the lower engine, so were constantly in need of higher rpm to get around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How true. I have owned a Hilux 4x2 and a Rodeo 4x2. Both were heavey on fuel, infact both off my XR8's (AU,BA) are more economical then the Hilux and Rodeo. To add to the favor the AU BA, Driver comfort is a hell off alot better..

I will never buy a Jap 1 tonner again.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 22y 12d

Absolute no-brainer. If it's about economical motoring the AU is better than the Hilux. I'm not talking just fuel economy. Check out your service interval and the service costs on a Hilux - generally parts are more expensive too. Fuel economy will be very close to the same. The AU will use slightly more fuel but it is a lot more powerful and more comfortable to ride in. BA utes seem to use a little more fuel than AUs, but then they are also more powerful.

A good AU XR6 Series II can be had for under $20k. It will not lose value as traditionally Ford utes are very popular on the second hand market and hold value better than their sedan counterparts.