Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 9y 4m 18d

You know that those machines can be quite thirsty if pushed hard.

But there are other factors directly affecting fuel economy.
My FG XR6T was getting really bad fuel economy on 98 octane fuel recently.
Average fuel consumption was showing me 18l/100km and I could only manage only just over 300km out of fuel tank on mostly highway driving.

Soon after, my dashboard showed engine check light.
After checking the code I came to conclusion it is HEGO (heated exhaust oxygen sensor) sensor.
There are 2 sensors in FG model. One before catalytic converter and one after.
It is recommended to change both sensors at the same time.
Ordered new set from ebay. Found set of 2 for $90, normally they are around $250.
Replaced them, there's no more engine check light and my fuel economy is 12l/100km now.
Still on the high side for my liking, but then again those are not standard engines.

Also sometimes thermostat is not closing properly and engine can't get out of warm up loop. It causes excessive fuel consumption. But that is easy to tell if your dash temperature gauge is showing lower coolant temperature then normal.
It is worth cleaning injectors as well and check for any vacuum leaks on the intake manifold.
Apparently those bolts on the intake side need to be checked on regular basis. If there's vacuum leak there it causes mighty nightmare for ecu and all sorts of crazy behaviours.

• Like 2

• Member For: 7y 10m 27d

Excellent advice but will admit to only doing one thing so far, changing from 91 to 95 fuel this has reduced a round town fuel consumption from 18.9 to 17.3 so not necessarily saving much money but obviously engine is happier, still contemplating chip but we will see as have sort of got used to it guzzling fuel now as it goes so well who cares.

My mates late model V8 SS Late model Comodore is worse and doubt he's got anymore tongue on demand than true blue has   

Edited by Mark Turbo

• Member For: 9y 4m 18d
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 1m 22d

On my past 2004 BA T I used to get about 17 l /100km city cycle with a modest edit only 249 rwkW. That equated to about 360-370 km on a full tank RON 98.

In my F6 I'm getting about 14.8 l /100km city cycle on an edit only 301 rwkW.  I see roughly 400-410km range a full tank 98 RON which I'm okay with.  I stopped looking at fuel costs since my first XR6 back in 2006. I'm on my 4th one now :3gears:

• Like 1

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 11d

on my 50/50 mix of ethanol & 98ron I get combined of 11.8L per 100 in my BA auto.

pretty happy with 350rwkw and that figure!

actually the more mods I did over the past 10 years the better the economy got. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hpfmnst said:

Thanks for the Link, do you think its worth getting these even if your engine warning light is not coming on (not sure if the deteriorate but still show up ok ? ) 

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 1m 22d

I gotta say - the edit did improve my fuel economy on the F6.  Prior to the edit when I put it back to what I thought was stock for Mick at Pitlane to tune - it was doing a crazy 19 l / 100km and that did disturb me cos I was wondering what the hell was wrong with the engine setup.  So I couldn't wait for Mick to put his tune in and relieved it dropped back to the fuel economy that I thought was more reasonable from what I had seen on the forum :thumbsup:   

Something came to my notice today, in NZ we are generally driving in hilly terrain, in fact the X6T has to on its first run climb a fairly steep hill for a least a Km before getting on the flat 

I reset the fuel computer today from some flat terrain and was I estimate about 2L/100km better off so round town on the plains somewhere would look a lot better I'm guessing