Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 12y 7m 17d

Had mine for a couple of months now, yet to post up pics will have to do so.

2010 FG XR6T (x hwy) with 90k on the clock driving around the city sits anywhere from 14.5l/100 up to 15.8/100 with n without air con on.

I've got two new VDO Siemens o2 sensors coming to change over to see if they help at all... I new it wasn't going to fuel efficient but would of thought it would run around 12-13.. or in kms terms at least get 400km to the tank. This tank looks to be a bit better but generally it struggles to get 400kms to the tank.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 25d

Can you qualify 'driving around the city'? Are you talking stop-start traffic or free flowing suburban traffic?

Even so it's not too bad really...what about highway economy?

And apparently having the A/C off will make two/tenths fck all difference if you've got your windows down as that creates more drag.

• Member For: 14y 3m

Had mine for a couple of months now, yet to post up pics will have to do so.

2010 FG XR6T (x hwy) with 90k on the clock driving around the city sits anywhere from 14.5l/100 up to 15.8/100 with n without air con on.

I've got two new VDO Siemens o2 sensors coming to change over to see if they help at all... I new it wasn't going to fuel efficient but would of thought it would run around 12-13.. or in kms terms at least get 400km to the tank. This tank looks to be a bit better but generally it struggles to get 400kms to the tank.

Redbook quotes urban consumption for FG XR6T 2010 at 16.9 litres per 100kms, so as Tab has alluded its probably about right. Cheers

• Member For: 12y 7m 17d

Can you qualify 'driving around the city'? Are you talking stop-start traffic or free flowing suburban traffic?

And apparently having the A/C off will make two/tenths fck all difference if you've got your windows down as that creates more drag.

Yeah at times it can be stop start traffic... basically from epping to parramatta during peak hours.

Haven't had a good chance to test hwy figures, when I first got it went to orange and back and I think from memory (which could be wrong) it was running at like 11 to 12.

See that's what I've always been told that air con doesn't affect it that much but as soon as its turned on no matter what driving the economy climbs by at least 1l/100km.

So in the grand scheme of things not a huge difference but noticeble enough when it was higher then expected.

Redbook quotes urban consumption for FG XR6T 2010 at 16.9 litres per 100kms, so as Tab has alluded its probably about right. Cheers

There we go then, just wanted to confirm it. I was just a bit shocked that not even getting 400kms to a tank. But this tank much better so much now with half a tank left sitting at 250km and that's mainly peak hour traffic and also a trip in sydney cbd in traffic and out today free flowing.

Oh well I'll chuck in the new o2 sensors and see how they go, probably make lil to no difference but glad to hear its not running as bad as first thought.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 22d

been driving for around 2 weeks now, giving it a squirt more often then not, avg fuel consumption sitting at 12.5l/100

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 10d

The cold start kills mine, I leave for work at 7, it's freezing.

Sit on cruise at 60kmh for 4.5k's, few stops if I hit lights. Not up to temp when I get to work.

Then same on the way home just not as cold and more dickheads to avoid.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 10m

How long's your drive total?

I have a crap drive in the morning (ie. it's not easy on the engine) so I let it idle for 30-60 sec before departing. I live at the top of a steep hill (all residential 50 zone). After turning out of my col-de-sac, when I'm going down the hill and apply the brakes, the ZF down shifts to help bleed off speed. If I apply them near the bottom, it can hit 3,000+ RPM to slow the car so I now drive in manual and just hold second gear (it likes to use 3rd or 4th normally). I go through the roundabout at the bottom and then immediately have to accelerate to get up an equally steep (but far shorter) hill. A few sharp 90 degree turns (so brake to 15 then accelerate again) and after 1.3km's from home I hit the traffic lights where it gets a reprieve to continue heating up a little. Next I turn on to Windsor Rd (60 zone) and let it build up speed by itself for 300m before I turn on to James Ruse Dr (90 zone). Just happens to be a big hill when I get on so it gets another workout. It's normally not up to temp (at least according to the coolant gauge) until I almost hit the M4 around 8 km's from home. My total drive on average is 37km though.

Ideally, I'd drive along with cruise at 60 for a few km's but mother nature conspires against me...