Removal Of Turbo In Preperation Of Porting And Valve Mod

mrmackie

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

Yes, the dump pipe and manifold can be disconnected and pulled out with the turbo still attached to both and work on it on a bench. Even if you decide to disconnect the turbo from the manifold and dump pipe and take it out individually, there's a bunch of work that'll require a vice-held situation otherwise the turbo housing bolts will be extremely difficult to undo. 

If you take the manifold etc off, remember to replace gaskets and ensure you put the bolts back in the same spots they came off :spoton:

• Member For: 4y 6m 10d

I Can see being an orginal turbo & the car is 18 years old this December that it will not come off the exhaust manifold, so im thinking ill pull the whole lot out on one hit, soak it in wd40 for a few days then break it apart. I have all new gaskits, oil water seals, studs & manufold gaskitd. Just wanted to confirm that you can get the exhaust manifold out with tubo & dump pipe attached the exhaust manifold. last time I done one was like 8 years ago & even then I couldnt get one of the bottom bolts out then once back in lining up the dump pipe & turbo housing was a nightmare. So to confirm undo the dump pipe from underneath near the cat & the oil return & feed lines, unplau the oxy sensor then remove manifold bolts and remove dump pipe turbo & exhaust manifold in one hit..  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

Yep, that's the summary. It's a heavy combination and requires a bit of fiddling around in terms of angles to get it out, but it definitely comes out as one piece.