FG Falcon Is Here!

shitbmxrider

Guest EGOXRT
  • Guests

I was fortunate enough to do a back to back test drive against of the FG XR6T, GTP 302 Boss and a current BF MK11 today.

Lets get the GTP out of the way. In my opinion, gutless and clumsy against both the FG and BF. You can really feel the weight they have over the front wheels and although the boss is a sweet rever,

I found it quite WEAK feeling against the Turbo's.

Next the FG against the BF. Well the first thing you notice is the cabin in the FG, is a huge improvement over the BF. Console position is a no brainer, as are the quality of the trim & plastics. The instrument cluster is also a huge improvement with lots of menu based info available through the new centre display.The quietness is also very evident, as the outside world is now another dimension further away than the BF. Most of what you have read about the ease of getting in and out is 100% correct also, no ducking.

On the performance side. Well this will either impress people or turn them off. The FG delivers power in such a linear way that it does not feel like a turbo charged car at all. I actually had to ask if indeed it was a T, lol.. It still has a tiny amount of lag, but from 2000 rpm all to the limiter it pulls very hard and revs allot more effortlessly than the BF. The calibration in the ZF is also much more precise, you must drive it to know what I mean. As good as the ZF is in the BF, it is a killer in the FG. The brakes are also a lit more eager to pull up in the FG, maybe they have gone to another compound?

I can not comment to much about the handling department, as there aren't to many places you can legally throw the thing around in my area. The car felt no stiffer than the BF but felt more sure footed, especially at speed during lane changes. The overall ride quality though is a step ahead from the BF. The car now uses mono tube shocks, courtesy of ZF Germany!!

To sum up, I am not a big fan of the exterior on the the FG but once behind the wheel the changes made to it are very apparent. The driving experience is in my opinion, much improved.

In standard form there is a good supply of very linear power but if you are expecting that Turbo surge you will be a little disappointed. That said, when you look at the speedo only then you realise how well it actually accelerates.

I would have loved a little more time in it but hey, beggars cant be choosers. It is a much nicer overall package than the BF Turbo, and the current V8 is not even in the same league...

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 21d

:finger:

I wish I could hack the seats down in my car. I'm 6.3 and it's a challenge.

I mean c'mon, surely they noticed something was wrong when the sun visor blocked your vision of the road when vertical.

I sat in the F6 at the Motor Show and wasn't overwhelmed by the 'new found' space. I did however notice how sh!thouse and pathetic the cloth seats are. If anyone buys an FG, please get leather!

Guest EGOXRT
  • Guests
Thanks bloke ... great read

Whats the seating position like?

Do you still sit up way too high when the seats in the lowest postion like the BF???

I hope they have finally lowered the driving position/seat height :finger:

To be 100% honest the seating position has never been a real problem with me in the BA/BF, but it did not feel that much different, a little lower perhaps. The steering wheel is a little smaller, which I did notice, which also felt better I think. It does feel bigger in the cabin also, although I am told the dimensions are not to different. The roof line is a little more forward, which gives that feeling of extra space in front of the driver.

Guest EGOXRT
  • Guests
was it a base model xrt that u test drove?

Yes it was, it had no options. The fabric is a little "Different" but the quality is heaps better that the BF. I will be taking a G6ET out also, so I will try and get a little more in depth with the interior of that.

The icc is also much nicer, even in the base model. The bluetooth pairing is very nice but will be limited to most of the popular phones, so be sure to ask as many questions as possible before buying...

Edited by EGOXRT