FG Falcon Is Here!

shitbmxrider

If the changes to the FG Falcon's petrol I6 surprised, the overhaul the I6 Turbo has received in the changeover to the new generation of Ford's large car will have most enthusiasts gob-smacked.

So let's clear one thing up first, the 270kW power output of the new I6 Turbo might match that of FPV's current F6 turbo engine, but that's little more than coincidence. This is an all-together different powerplant.

In concert with the changes wrought on the base engine, the I6 Turbo that will power the newest XR6 Turbo (as well as a long-awaited sporting Fairmont Ghia range-topper), has received a completely new set of plumbing -- on both the intake and exhaust ends of the package. And that's not all -- for the first time, the powerplant gets sophisticated anti-lag infrastructure that promises to deliver stunning performance in the real world, as well as on the dyno.

Developed by Ford Australia's own engineering team, the new I6 Turbo pumps out 270kW at 5250rpm (25kW over the current standard turbo six) while peak torque has increased by 53Nm to 533Nm from 2000-4750rpm. Perhaps the most telling statistic is the fact that over 420Nm is available from 1250rpm through to 5750rpm.

The engine gets the same cylinder-head changes as the naturally-aspirated I6 powerplant, but the entire forced-induction system has been re-engineered.

A new, higher efficiency Garrett turbocharger increases maximum boost from 0.4 to 0.7 bar (around 10psi). The engine gets new high-compression pistons and a more efficient intercooler which, along with new shorter inlet-side manifolds, reduces flow restrictions to combat turbo lag.

The I6 Turbo's all-new exhaust manifold has also been tuned to minimise flow restriction into the turbocharger and optimise the flow balance from cylinder to cylinder.

The redesigned components reduce weight -- the inlet plumbing is 44 per cent lighter while the exhaust side of the equation has shed around a third of its mass. In total the engine is around 10kg lighter.

Says Ford: "The net result of all the turbo system improvements is a significant increase to peak power and torque outputs on the new I6 Turbo engine, along with new levels of engine responsiveness and considerable gains in terms of fuel economy and efficiency."

As noted in our engine overview (see links below) the Turbo's fuel consumption has been reduced 0.6L/100km to 11.7L/100km in preliminary ADR81 testing.

MORE THAN PIPEWORK

But the plumbing alterations are only part of the story. In the development of the new I6 Turbo powerplant, Ford's engineers have taken a leaf out of the likes of Mitsubishi and Subaru's books and incorporated overboost functionality and launch assistance.

In the case of the former, the I6 Turbo's engine management system manipulates the base engine's dual independent variable camshaft timing (DIVCT) to allow the engine to over boost by up to 10 per cent for several seconds at wide open throttle (WOT).

The engine also uses what Ford terms 'adaptive variable camshaft timing' to reduce turbo lag. Two modes are used -- the base in normal driving "to maximise fuel efficiency while still providing maximum power and torque" and the other "adjusts cam angles in real time to minimise turbo lag and maximise engine response," Ford says.

Launch assistance is featured on I6 Turbos matched to Ford's new six-speed manual transmission and is activated when the vehicle is stationary with clutch fully disengaged. In this situation the electronic throttle limits engine revs to a maximum of 3500rpm by cutting fuel which in turn allows the 'cut' cylinders to 'spool' the turbo with cool fresh air. On releasing the clutch, all cylinders are reactivated and full torque is returned.

Ford says the system: "increases available engine torque for more consistent maximum launch acceleration, as well as reducing turbo and exhaust temperatures, and minimising turbo lag and clutch wear."

The company's engineers say the system increases off the line boost levels by around 3psi.

The final performance strategy incorporated in the I6 Turbo's armoury is featured on automatic transmission vehicles -- a cylinder cut-off which is claimed to improved shift timing and refinement.

The cylinder cut shift sequence is completed in approximately 0.25 of a second and reduced WOT shift times by more than 50 per cent, claims Ford. It also "enables better control of turbo boost pressure and smoother application of engine torque" to minimize surge during changes.

Alas, the engine management system has stopped one step short of perfection in terms of current automatic-transmission equipped vehicles... Perhaps we'll see throttle 'blipping' Jaguar XK and XF style on downchanges in the FPV versions of the FG range... Eventually...

higher compression and 10psi for 270kw ain't to great. launch control is interesting.

no blipping of throttle on downshifts is disappointing, fpv might do it but I ain't going to hold my breath.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 17y 9m 7d

Oh Yessss

How tuff are the specs.

Does anyone know if it is using the new Air Bearing design turbo I suggested it would be using months ago.

If it is, it means faster spool ups, hot shut downs wont hurt as testing had been quite substanial with the new design and most of all more power and efficency.

You BA-BF phoon boys/girls will be pretty upset as the new XR6T may leave you sitting in there review.

Dreading the release of the new phoon, how good is it going to be.

Once I get my power over 450 rwkw I would thing Iam going to struggle against a std phoon due to this Launch Control.

Wonder if there will be a way to fit and retune our cars to use Launch control.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 26d

The best bits....

http://www.caradvice.com.au/10389/2008-for...con-technology/

This system controls simple functions such as audio which incorporates MP3 functionality and iPod connectivity, along with driver conveniences such as auto-headlamp off, interior light dimming and auto-audio off with driver’s door.
A multi-function display inset into the cluster delivers a range of information to the driver in their peripheral vision including a large digital speed display, overspeed, odometer, tripmeter, system warnings, audio information and trip computer information.

Cluster settings are stored on the key fob, maintaining preferences for multiple drivers.

Set-Point cruise control system on FG Falcon, the MFD shows cruise control status including Cruise On, Set and set Speed, while there is now also a “one touch lane change indicator”.
Cluster illumination is determined by the ambient light level via an ambient light sensor, independent of the headlight status – it compensates for using headlights during the daytime or travelling through a tunnel.

Got the contract drawn up for me yet Pat??? :w00t2:

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m
Not difficult to debadge it if you don't like the badges there.

Lol, I can see it now in the Utes section of the Forum as a sticky;

"Debadging your Ute" :w00t2:

The ute looks no different from the back, apart from those ridiculously oversized badges.

• Member For: 21y 5m 25d

From an engineering point of you it is an absolute work of art. So many clever changes to the engines, body and interior and the new Human Machine Interface which allows a whole new degree of interior options. Excellent work.