2008 Falcon

Barry Blue

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 15d

the pod is actually the premium interior clock, like the one you get with the old luxury interior package and fairmont ghia

Edited by senna_T

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d

Saw an orion test car today, they must be doing hot weather or high speed (or not so high, thanks Claire) testing in Darwin. Looked like a white XR8 as the cover came up over the bonnet. Pulled in to the local tire place, pity I was going to another Job as I had the Dig SLR and it would have been a great photo opp.

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 15d

Just a very quick glance, the bits you can see mainly the roof line still look like the BF. I would liked to have had a peak at the interior, what a missed opportunity.

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y 5m 24d

Orion caught gallivanting

A candid shot of the Ford Orion supplied by car buff Andrew Toy.

View more pics of this car

Other Top storiesAudi crosses categories

Nissan GT-R: Godzilla's welcome return

Hyundai i30 wins Car of the Year

Drive for better car security

30 November 2007

Kevin Hepworth

Ford's top secret 'Orion' is out and about on public roads and leaving a tantalising trail of clues in its wake.

The replacement for (or the next generation of) Falcon is due to come out from behind the covers early next year but in the interim sharp-eyed car buffs are snapping away every time the family sedan hits the test circuit.

Canberra's Andrew Toy was heading through Cooma when he came across a pair of heavily disguised Orions and a brace of support vehicles. Toy found the Orions, a black V8 with power bulge on the bonnet and a white six-cylinder, driving through the Snowy Mountains.

“I'm a Expensive Daewoo man but I have to say that when he took off in that V8 the sound was sensational,” Toy says. “The guys in the cars did everything they could to keep me away, even to the extent of the support guys putting their cars between me and the two disguised models.”

Toy says both cars were wearing a lot of cladding designed to change certain key elements of the profile to hide details of the most important Blue Oval car in a decade.

“From behind they look like there are VE-style wheel arches, they look longer and the badge on the front grille is easily twice as big as on the current model. Even under all the tape you could see the changes to the tailights and the rear window, which looks to be a lot more raked than on the current Falcon.”

From the photos Toy managed to snap it is clear the rear door has been changed with a concerted effort to hide the new look.

The current Falcon's narrow rear-door opening is the bane of taxi passengers and it is one of the things that will be fixed when the new car hits showrooms.

Ford has made little secret of the styling cues the new Orion/Falcon has borrowed from the Mondeo's so-called 'Kinetic' design language.

The vent just behind the front wheel and rear spoiler on the boot indicate that the black car belongs to the XR/GT family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you spotted the Orion on our roads, if so where have you seen it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------post-11716-1196761666_thumb.jpgpost-11716-1196761680_thumb.jpgpost-11716-1196761693_thumb.jpgpost-11716-1196761708_thumb.jpg

Posted by: Jim O'Connor 3:59pm today

I saw a convoy of 6 of these cars following each other in pairs [about 400m between pairs] in Geelong [scenic Road/Highton area] about 6 weeks ago - I followed them for about 10 minutes through the suburbs - too bad I didn't have the camera in the car - there was range of colours [blue, black, orange], all were heavily disguised, with plastic panels much the same as the photo above - several had white stripes painted in zig zag fashion along parts of the vehicle. I wrote down the rego numbers of 4 cars but thought that it was a waste of time as they were probably registerd to Ford Aust anyway [they were all Vic plates]. The drivers did not seem to be too fussed about anyone lo

Edited by our06t