Barry Blue

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 15d

yeah, its their new NVH testing facility, they also use it for fuel consumption testing, the rollers are actually coated in a road base material, so it simulates the sound of tyres on road rather than a steel roller. I've attached a copy of the press release. *pdf file*

• THE Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 17d
yeah, its their new NVH testing facility, they also use it for fuel consumption testing, the rollers are actually coated in a road base material, so it simulates the sound of tyres on road rather than a steel roller. I've attached a copy of the press release. *pdf file*

Date issued bown the bottom 09-jun-06

for release top of second page...... December 12th 2007

Someone had to hang onto it for a while!! LOL

Chooka

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Yeah, it was organised and put into action then, just before Ford had a massive crash in sales...

The facility was put on hold for at least 6 months, in the meantime ford had to try and re-coup some cash so it didn't send them into receivership (spelling) - this is what I'm told anyway...

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 2m 16d

Well here's a newspaper report backing up the prospect of a March 2008 on-sale date for the Ford Falcon "Orion".

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...935-664,00.html

Ford warns on off-track

by Neil McDonald - Herald Sun - December 13, 2007 12:00am

FORD Australia president Tom Gorman has warned the local car industry about "posturing and sabre rattling" for tariff relief under the mid-term review of the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme due next year.

His comments come just two months after Toyota Motor Corp warned the Australian Government that reducing import tariffs to 5 per cent in 2010 and a sustained high Australian dollar could put Toyota's Altona manufacturing base at risk.

However, Mr Gorman said Ford would not make threats in the lead-up to the ACIS review.

"My view as it relates to the ACIS review, is that sabre rattling around duties is not the right answer," he said. "Whether tariffs go from 10 to 5 per cent is not a big issue."

Free trade agreements and currency exchange rates have had a bigger impact on new car prices than tariffs, Mr Gorman said.

"I wouldn't be focusing on duties," he said. "I would be focusing on the strength of ACIS and the availability of investment funds.

"I think the Rudd Government is on that page; they are clearly going to emphasise innovation in investment going forward."

If the car industry can continue to get the support on investment both through ASIC and through other channels "that makes it viable to manufacture and produce locally", he said.

Ford has had a tough year this year, a fact that Mr Gorman said he was painfully aware of.

Its sales are down 7.5 per cent in a market that is up 8 per cent, dominated by imports.

Most of its passenger car range has struggled this year with only its light commercial vehicles redressing the sales balance.

The Fiesta, Focus and Falcon have all under-performed.

With the next-generation Falcon, codenamed Orion due out in March, the outgoing car has suffered particularly this year, with sales down 8800 units, or 22 per cent compared with last year.

Gorman is optimistic the new Falcon will turn around interest in Ford's big-six sedan, ute and wagon.

"We see ourselves picking up," he said. "I don't think we've set our sights so high that we're putting our business at risk.

"I think we have a conservative view of volume next year."

This conservatism extended to the Broadmeadows manufacturing plan for 2008, market and volume share, he said.

Ford, caught napping by a proliferation of spy shots of heavily disguised Orion models around Melbourne, released its own shots of the car yesterday.

Also, something that is not in the usual run on official spy pics is this pic of the passenger door. Personally dont like the look of the door interior.

Orion_Door.bmp

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

I've got alot of time for Tom Gorman, spoken to him a couple of times, and he is very honest when it comes to how the company is going, but he is also quick to let you know about how they are working on ways to improve and doesn't big note himself or bag the opposition, I reckon we'll be ok next year, its the year after I'm worried about...