2008 Falcon

Barry Blue

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 26d

They will be on display at the Melbourne Motor Show.

From what I've heard dealer principles have a drive day(s) is Feb.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 13d

Looks good to me. It's good to see the car get some real rake on it and I think the back looks great, much better than the VE, more like a good Audi.

Edited by Evil F6

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 2m 16d

:w00t2: Thanks Senna :spoton:

Read a rumour that the Expensive Daewoo VE 2 will be out in April 2008 so makes sense to me for Ford to release the Orion before the media swarm all over the Expensive Daewoo VE 2. Only reason I can think Ford would allegedly say a May release is to lull Expensive Daewoo into a false sense of comfort with regards to their VE 2 launch (makin them think they have more time to finesse the VE 2 than they really have). Like I have said earlier - if I was spending big bucks on R&D on a new product - faaarked if I'd wait to release it cos I'd be wanting to be recoup those costs asap and start clawing back some market share with new car sales :cry:

Edited by EvilDaifu

• Member For: 17y 5m 27d

14 December 2007

Ford Australia has kicked off the drip-feed of official information (and images) of the new generation Falcon in a particularly elegant manner. Presenting its new Research and Development Centre, revised production and proving ground facilities in and around Geelong to the Australian media yesterday, the company also provided sneak peeks (and official photos or disguised cars) at a number of aspects of the upcoming car, code-named Orion.

Pre-production build of Fords new large car is well under way, with Ford utilising its new latest production upgrade dubbed Press Line 21 for one-piece body side panel pressing for the new car. The one-piece operation was introduced in Australia by Mitsubishi for the production of the 380, but is a first locally for Ford.

The new facility was busy pressing door skins and other Orion parts when the media toured the facility sans cameras yesterday.

In plain view were unadorned complete body side pressings for the new car in both sedan and utility form. Also on show was the sedan's new glass house complete with BMW-style kinked C-pillar. Courtesy of the door skins, the new car's abbreviated window glass and high, rising beltline were easily discernible.

The official photos hereabouts show camouflaged sedan and ute variants of Orion. We can confirm that the over-sized door moldings hide very clean Mondeo-style flanks on the production car.

Fords recent developments at the centre include: a semi-anechoic chamber for controlled NVH testing; an enlarged Vehicle Dynamics Area; revised emissions test cell infrastructure; and a new dynamoter based high-speed validation rig that uses robot drivers to rack up tens of thousands of kilometers.

In addition, Fords joint venture with Melbourne University, Advanced Centre for Automotive Research and Testing (ACART), will soon commission its new environmental wind tunnel at the proving ground. Once completed, this facility will feature a test cell in capable of temperatures from -40 to +55 degrees and with wind speeds up to 250km/h.

Back on the Orion, Ford Australia Vice President Product Development, Trevor Worthington, says many of the new the facilities have been employed in the development of the car which will be the eighth-generation Falcon.

On the subject of the car itself, he says, much of the final testing is complete although the number of camouflaged prototypes rolling in and out of the test facilities south west of Melbourne would indicate there's still work to be done.

Ford will not comment officially on the launch of the car, other to say it is "on track." The first media briefings will take place on February 6, though it is unlikely that information will be cleared for release to the public until later in February.

Speculation is still rife as to whether the car will debut at the Melbourne Motor Show or at a stand alone event.

Edited by f-wolf

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 15d

lol, yeah I'm in two minds about this, I think it will create some excitement about the product, but I don't want it to create a situation where we can't sell the existing stock - which we are already struggling with!

Guest Skrema
  • Guests
lol, yeah I'm in two minds about this, I think it will create some excitement about the product, but I don't want it to create a situation where we can't sell the existing stock - which we are already struggling with!

What do you do with yourself Senna? Sorry but I am intrigued.