• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 1d
My first impression was - AWFUL.

Not sure how you can from those pics. The car appears to me to have panels stuck to it to confuse the lines of the car.

• Member For: 17y 9m 8d

Yeh hope those rear pillars are only stick ons to throw people off.

And same with those door panels.

I hope that they do get the new turbo design that Garret is working on (Air Bearing 120 000 rpm + capability)

I suppose it's a good thing to keep car disguised as much as possible as we wouldn't want gmh stealing idea's before it is released.

Like with other things just to name a few Ford XB GT/GS bonnet vents, same car honey comb grill patern, look at all the other thigs like dash design style's com screen and all, head light design's, even the bonnet design which started with the EL Fairmont, Herrod quad exhaust and heaps of other engineering design's.

Its a good thing though that there manufacturing/design department can't even get a fuel flap cover right (have you noticed all the crummies driving around with either missing or mismatched colour fuel covers).

• Member For: 21y 5m 26d

Of course those panels are stick ons, they want the shape disguised. As for the new Garrett turbos its highly unlikely Ford would use them if they are only under development now. Ford won't jump in and use unproven technology until its proven to be reliable.

The new turbo design has been tested with 100 000 start ups /shut downs with air intake temps set at 650°c, has been spun to 120 000 + rpm all without any failure.

Mine you most of the testing was with a diesel cat engine that has a rotor 2kg in mass.

This testing on a turbo of that size would mean that a smaller unit would be a very reliable unit eg the mass of the rotor in the gt40 probably would not be any heavier than 500g's.

The bigger and heavier a rotor the slower the spool up and more load and inertia on the bearings and shaft.

To say Ford will not be using these turbo's is just like all the other new tech Ford has designed and manufactured, eg variable cam timing, stability control, trackion control, 6spd auto gearbox's, etc etc etc.

All these things where same where the public had heard rumors then they where released soon after.

I say it is a very good chance we will see this new design as it would be of great value to the ford turbo's with less turbo problems related to seized shafts and bearings and other warrenty problems caused by a failed turbo eg engine, IC and sensors.

Can someone please comfirm weather Ford will be using the AIR BEARING Turbo or not.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d

Without actually saying it, I think Venom's post would be the best thing to go by as far as confirming or denying the speculation.

(Take note of his location)

• Member For: 21y 5m 26d
To say Ford will not be using these turbo's is just like all the other new tech Ford has designed and manufactured, eg variable cam timing, stability control, trackion control, 6spd auto gearbox's, etc etc etc.

All these things where same where the public had heard rumors then they where released soon after.

All of those things you mentioned are made by suppliers and have been used on other vehicles before Ford used them. Stability and traction control is from Bosch and was used by the Euros probably 10 years ago. ZF autos have been used by the Euros for 3 or 4 years and VCT isn't new technology either. Ford are always a bit slower to adopt new technology, they always wait until it is proven reliable before they adopt it. There is no chance Ford will use this on Orion. that's not to say they might not adopt it 5 years down the track though.

• Yaris member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 1d
Stability and traction control is from Bosch and was used by the Euros probably 10 years ago. ZF autos have been used by the Euros for 3 or 4 years and VCT isn't new technology either.

damn beat me too it!

150million units sold soon....

Ok I know what your saying.

Just for instance the ZF box came from the Aston Martin did it not.

Ford own Aston Martin and designed and built this system and put it into a car.

The BA turbo was also brought into the market from testing carried out by Garrett and Ford, so why do you all think it is not possible for Ford to be using this new turbo technology.

We don't know much about the Orion do we.

How do we know there hasn't been BA-BF test cars being tested with this turbo design over the last few years.

Someone mentioned on this thread about how the orion is going to blow the crummy outa the water, I think this person also had inside info, this turbo design will do it.

Tab if you had something new and wanted it to stay quite would you do it in your back yard or in a location no one knows of?

These picture's of the suspected Orion may just be decoys to distract everyone from the real Orion being tested outback or some where there is unsuspecting eye's.

Or maybe it all can just be my hopes that his turbo technology does happen.

Then again if there is a big improvement over the BF my value of my BA XR6T will decline even more, So maybe I should be praying it does not happen.