Xr6t Dramas

ef 4.9

• Member For: 17y 2m 19d

Hello,

I have a 2003 XR6T ute, Only had it about 3 months It has done about 32000ks. The other day It started to run rough when I was driving down the street, so I drove it home and it stalled in the driveway. Now when you start it she feels like she is running on four cylinders, when you stab the throttle it stalls. If you gradually put your foot down it will rev up and seems to loose its miss and smooth out a bit above 3000rpm.

The engine light is not illuminating, fuel pump sounds healthy enough. Thus far I have replaced the TPS, fuel filter and cleaned the T/B. I have ruled out it being a vaccum leak by spraying aerostart on all the places it may develop problems (intake manifold Etc). The Ute also has been returned to the factory tune (from a C&V 10PSI). and I have also reset the ECU.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem might be, it is irritating because the car is undrivable as it just stalls when put into park. I guess the next thing to look at would be the fuel pump and coils. But I have trouble beliving a car with such low K's could have such problems.

Anny help would be much appreciated.

luke

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 17y 4m 7d

Have you checked your plugs? If it had a 10psi tune it it im guessing the previous owner gapped them down to .8mm. Mite be a good idea just to wip em out and check the condition of them. While you have the coil packs out inspect the rubber boots for an indications of arching or tears in the rubber.

Also hold you foot flat on the accel and crank the engine over for about 15-20secs. This apparently resets the cam phasers apparently.

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 16d

Sounds like plugs or coil packs.

When you start it first thing in the morn how does it run?

Sounds like plugs or coil packs.

When you start it first thing in the morn how does it run?

The plugs are brand new, re-gapped to CAPA's specs. I replaced and regaped them a couple of thousand K's ago when I got the C&v Generic tunes.

If I hold my foot flat to the floor the damn thing tries to start, that's why I originally thaught it was the TPS. So I'm not to sure about that one. I will get a new Coil from work tomorrow and I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks for your help so far.

luke

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 7d

I would bet it is a coilpack.

I would check the HT cables and make sure they are intact and not damaged.

If you can get it to Ford, they can plug in the WDS and bring up any codes from the ECU.

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 17y 4m 7d
If I hold my foot flat to the floor the damn thing tries to start, that's why I originally thaught it was the TPS. I will get a new Coil from work tomorrow and I'll let you know how I go.

I know mine wont start, and im sure others cars wont start when the pedal is held at WOT. It just cranks over.

You are aware that there is not one coil but 6 coil packs?

I would check the HT cables and make sure they are intact and not damaged.

And they are where??? Its only got LT going to the coil pack. The HT cable is inside the rubber boot, kinda hard to inspect it all the way in.

Edited by hanra

You are aware that there is not one coil but 6 coil packs?

Yep, I'm aware of that, I'll get one and try it on each cyl and see if the prob goes away. I have trouble beliving that a coil could become unservicable haveing done such a small ammount of k's.

RAP1D, what do you mean by get it diagnosed? are you talking about a visual inspection or testing the resistance on the high and low sides of the coil?

I hate ford here, They wouldent even know what a WDS is. I wouldent even take my Expensive Daewoo to them (if indeed I was unfortunate enough to have a holden).

Thanks for your replys, I will try a coil pack tonight.

Luke

A coil it was. #5, might have to keep a spare one from now on. does annyone make an aliminuim cover to replace the black platic thing that covers the coils and holds them down?

Not only would a billet cover look tops it would keep the coils a bit cooler, Just a thaught.

thanks for your help.