Are Ex Cop Xr6 Turbo's A Good Buy?

BEN189

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 1m 9d

turns out the one im looking at is an ex police car, any suggestions on how to tell what role it was used in ? The dealer said it was unmarked but has a couple of marks on the roof. Said the dash has no holes though - I havent seen it in person yet.

One thing of interest - its not white.

Edited by gregor

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 10m 21d

My mate does mobile servicing for a big company, and he works on all the cop cars. Every time the cops are in a pursuit, they need their brakes changed..etc (even if its a 10 second chase), and stuff like that.

He said the cars get SO flogged out, he would never ever own one. The cars the police use as training cars on the track sometimes have the pads melted to the calipers, and they have to replace the calipers as well.

Mind you, if money is tight, then they are considerably cheaper some times... but I'd recommend waiting that bit extra, save a bit more $ and get a private one.

I'm fussy and I looked at a few at dealers, and the little holes in the dash, behind the seats...etc really would annoy me, however some people wouldn't care one bit about little details like that.

• Member For: 17y
turns out the one im looking at is an ex police car, any suggestions on how to tell what role it was used in ? The dealer said it was unmarked but has a couple of marks on the roof. Said the dash has no holes though - I havent seen it in person yet.

One thing of interest - its not white.

the only white police cars in my area are the divy vans, or as some might say the paddy wagons.

all the VE ss commos and falcon xr are crazy colours, green red, blue.... and these are fully marked cars.

this is in a town of 30 odd thousand too.

I spotted a bunch of F6 typhoons in the easten suburbs of sydney the other day that where all Unmarked cars, all metallic colours, gold, green, blue, orange... it was crazy must have been 5 or 6 there.

• Member For: 16y 1m 9d
My mate does mobile servicing for a big company, and he works on all the cop cars. Every time the cops are in a pursuit, they need their brakes changed..etc (even if its a 10 second chase), and stuff like that.

He said the cars get SO flogged out, he would never ever own one. The cars the police use as training cars on the track sometimes have the pads melted to the calipers, and they have to replace the calipers as well.

Mind you, if money is tight, then they are considerably cheaper some times... but I'd recommend waiting that bit extra, save a bit more $ and get a private one.

I'm fussy and I looked at a few at dealers, and the little holes in the dash, behind the seats...etc really would annoy me, however some people wouldn't care one bit about little details like that.

The thing ive been weighing up in my head is I want to do a few track days so im likely to give the brakes at least as good of a workout there. I'll probably do springs and shocks later on too. Obviously it would be a deal breaker if it had engine / driveline issues.

And it does have a full year of warranty. But ill need to see it in person, make sure the little bits you mention arent too annoying. I will be trying to get my hands on some non cop cars to see if I notice the difference.

Budget wise I dont want to spend more than 25k, but I wont offer that much for an ex cop vehicle - 22k at best if it shows up clean (BF2 feb 2010 warranty 65000km)

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 11d

So can your mate speak for the entire country when it comes to police cars or just W.A. Too often posts like this are written without this considertion.

I.B.

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 10m 21d

He only services WA police vehicles obviously, so no my mate cant speak for the entire country, but he's seen first hand just how much abuse these cars are given. Bent steering/suspension components from being driven over curbs..etc are a common occurrence on them.

But yeah like I said after that, they are cheap for what you get. And I guess like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 11d

http://www.governmentauctions.com.au/vehic...?number=2570050

Looks like the first of the NSW Ex Hwy Phoons are comming through the auctions...what are peoples thoughts on whether this car would be good value based on the price range...I think it might even go cheaper than what they are epxecting...

• Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 19d

I'd buy one if you could find one that looked like it hasnt been flogged & chopped up to much.