Siezed Turbo After 110k Km's

frankbanner

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Mate,

If Ford are not going to warrant it, tell them to F...off and get a real workshop to do the work.

Ford are a ripoff, get one of the sponsors to do the work as they know what a Turbo is.

There is also a guy selling a new turbo for our car, so it could be a better option to source the parts yourself.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wingnut
  • Guests
yeah, you can't say you didn't know it was comin wingy!

Oh you are 100% correct I knew it was but not in the manner it did. I had been babying it the whole trip and the first time I put my foot down BANG!!! Oh well she'll be good as new soon enough.

• Member For: 19y 2m 8d

Car is totally stock and has never been hammered.

I do, however, tow a horse float with it, so maybe you just can't tow with them?

I was told towing is no problem, but maybe?????????

Rang Ford, and was told, basically, tough titties.

• Member For: 17y 2m 5d

Shoulda bought the extended warranty! I've had experience where a manufacturer has honoured repairs 6 months outside of warranty, and I've also had others tell me to piss off only a week out of warranty. I guess it depends on many factors, but in the case of cars (especially when the manufacturer is losing money) and when it's an old model whose public image they don't care about....

Let's imagine an Orion XR6 turbo gets 110,000km put on it within a year and the turbo seizes. I *wonder* if Ford might still honour that since reliability problems published within the first year of a new model is not what they want!

Anyway, wouldn't a seized turbo be considered a repairable item rather than needing a new one? While it's in the shop, get a custom tune!

Edited by Dagabond

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 9m 15d

My turbo's also just packed it in after 55000 k's, only 3.5 years old. Anyone know what the 2004 BA Mk1's part number is and where to get it. Not buying anything direct from Ford as they've screwed me throughout the warranty period so any suggestions as to who else supplies them and average price would be appreciated. Been quoted $4200 just for the turbo (excluding labor) from Trinity Ford in Cairns for a Garrett GT40 but after reading numerous forum posts I've noted that it may actually be a GT3540 I need. Can anyone clarify which one is standard for this model, as I want her back on the road a.s.a.p. with the same model as was factory fitted. (No guesses please, I need the exact part)

If it is the GT3540, is the one listed here http://www.driftbitz.com/products/Turbos/indexx.htm the one I need.

GARRETT GT3540 BALL BEARING RATED AT 600HP

1.02 A/R exhaust housing and 0.70 A/R compressor cover. Base flange is a T3 pattern.

Garret's GT series Turbocharger range are safe to run at 20psi + day in and day out.

Price: $2,500 inc GST

Thanks in advance guys

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 7d

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/fpv-ba-bf-xr6-turbo...1QQcmdZViewItem

and I think the A/R compressor cover is .50 on the standard xr6 turbo turbo.

also in the ebay link dont believe the guys rubbish about 'better than bf xr6t turbo' because it is exactly the same, bar the mods done to it.

when replacing the turbo make sure that you get a new oil supply screen, as all the reading I have done indicates this is the most common cause of turbo seizure in these cars.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 6d

Hi Mate,

ring MTQ in brisbane and ask for a pice for a replacement xr6t turbo core.

http://www.mtqes.com.au/locations.php

Im 100% confident you WILL get a brand bew core for $800 to $1000 less than you have quoted here.

any dramas PM me and i will get you a quote

cheers

Luke

FWIW i have no affliation with MTQ just use them at work and have sourced many bits through them and they are very good

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 11d

Bad luck mate, but when your turbo is rebuilt it will be better than ever. While its off why dont you mod it ? Dont worry about ford they are rip off merchants and just use apprentices on all their brand new cars. My friends soarer tts blew and cost him 4000 to fix them both with roller bearings, but yours wont cost anywhere near that much - good luck