Stall Speed With A Specific Torque Converter

Power

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 16d

I'm looking at auto options, next week or so to commence. Anything from ~$3K to >$7K

One thing confuses me.

e.g. If I want to the 'stall' speed of my converter to be, say, 2,800rpm - why is it that this seems so easy to most?

I would assume a SPECIFIC torque converter would certainly have a different stall rpm in say a stcok XR6T vs. one running >400rwkw as per my current project -> Because Torque would be the factor that would change this.

Another example: If running a low tune of say 320rwkw, and then going race tune of say 400+, the stall rpm should be higher at 400+ - let's assume peak power/torque rpm are the same.

Is there something I'm missing? I would think your tuner and his selection of torque converter would be critical?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6d

I'm not a stall converter expert but I think that the stall rpm is simply where the converter locks up.

I do not think it has anything to do with your actual torque curve.

It is more depended on the fluid pressure in the converter and the rpm of the engine.

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members
I'm not a stall converter expert but I think that the stall rpm is simply where the converter locks up.

It is more depended on the fluid pressure in the converter and the rpm of the engine.

I've heard your 'stall' is 3,000rpm (whatever).

Is this the same for any of your tunes - will answer the question! :)

Edited by Power

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members

And yeah...atually it's a function of RPM & TORQUE....but lock up is interesting....but lockup of a 2,800rpm converter at 2,800? Not so sure.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6d

At the moment I have only been given one tune! I'm in line for a shopping tune and a full-on race tune on some higher octane unleaded ...

Answer: If I had three tunes then regardless of which tune I was running (with three different torque curves) then the stall converters lockup or nominated rpm is about the same.

I hope that sorts it out ? ... Someone please correct me if I am wrong.