Play In Steering When Driving On A Strait Road

zakxr8

• Member For: 17y 5m 2d

Had Tein suspension and Whiteline sway bars fitted, 30 mm front & 22mm back adjustable. Now I have a 5-10mm play in my steering when driving on a strait road. On winging road, roundabouts and cornering it’s unbelievable. Feel every bump in the road, particularly at low speeds

The suspension retailer opinion is that it's not a lot I can do to fix it, suggested to replace lower inner control arm bushes with Super Pro’s Polyurethane bushes for $350 fitted.

Will these bushes fix the problem (I got my doubts) and is it a right cost. Should I replace all front bushes. Is there anything else I can do to fix the play in my steering. Can the steering be adjusted.

• Member For: 19y 5m 26d

That doesnt sound at all right to me. Replacing swaybars and shocks should not make the steering vague. It sounds like something could be loose. I would be hoping under the car and checking all the rod ends and bolts to see if it is all ok. If you are not happy with the suspension shop - pop to another and ask for their opinion.

Suspension going wrong is dangerous - get it sorted out, otherwise you may lose the car, and yourself or others.

Good luck.

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 10m 11d

Hi mate, not too sure what the problem I sorry.. but I went to a shop today to price up Tein adjustable coilovers for my xr6t. You dont happen to live in WA and got it done at WA Suspensions did you? Cos he said that someone got it done recently.

Any chance of showing pics of how low it can go, or how low you have the car sitting?

I want my rear tyre tucked well inside the rear guard, and the shop said that at its lowest point the tyre will probably only just sit inside the rear guards.

• Member For: 17y 5m 2d
Hi mate, not too sure what the problem I sorry.. but I went to a shop today to price up Tein adjustable coilovers for my xr6t. You dont happen to live in WA and got it done at WA Suspensions did you? Cos he said that someone got it done recently.

Any chance of showing pics of how low it can go, or how low you have the car sitting?

I want my rear tyre tucked well inside the rear guard, and the shop said that at its lowest point the tyre will probably only just sit inside the rear guards.

It’s been lowered 15mm a corner (at WA Suspensions), I didn’t want to change factory settings too much and the upgrade was done to remove the body roll of XR8. Took the car to Cave road down south and the handling was fantastic. The car was in WA Suspensions for month after free check and wheel alignment and all was OK underneath. At first the small slack in the steering on the straight was annoying but now I’m getting used it but would like to get rid of it.

post-11614-1191723441_thumb.jpg

Edited by zakxr8

• <put funny sh*t here>

cool mate. So is there much more adjustment in the rear at all?

Id really like the ass end to have the tyre tucked inside the rear guards.

if that's basically the lowest it can go at the back, I might have to settle for Tein adjustable at the front and SSL springs at the rear (they are dead simple to change at the rear)

• <put funny sh*t here>

so effectively adjusting those rear coilovers as low as it can go (say another 30mm) will lift up the rear tyres another 30mm inside the rear guards?

I'd probably have to chop off one section of the bump stops too if I was to do that.