Axle Tramping

CRAMMED XR6

• Member For: 21y 6m 2d
Think Mal (SPONSOR) the gearbox and diff GURU said something about he was looking at making a kit for the utes dont know how far it got

Try the Bilstein shocks first as even the V8 racing utes don't bother with tramp rods. We used to run tramp rods back in the 70's on our 351 XY Falcons but tecnology has moved on a bit since. I had a quote from quadrant today for rear Bilstein shocks: $213.00 each (640 pounds compression 2925 pounds rebound for a ute but the numbers will be closer together for a sedan as the sedan coil spring has less friction on compression than a ute leaf spring) Regards, Sport

Guest F6rulz
  • Guests

I have run these bilsteins on my sedan now for 12 months, never a sign of axle tramp as you call it.... I believe the compression and reduction rates differ slightly from those quoted though.

213 would be a very fair price for the enormous gain in satisfaction..

• Member For: 21y 6m 2d
I have run these bilsteins on my sedan now for 12 months, never a sign of axle tramp as you call it.... I believe the compression and reduction rates differ slightly from those quoted though.

213 would be a very fair price for the enormous gain in satisfaction..

Your absolutely right - the only reason I will run lower compression is because the ute has a leaf spring rear which has far greater bump resitance hence a lower figure is required than for a coil spring shocker.

I am changing from existing Bilsteins (which are so much better than std FPV anyway) to re-rated Bilsteins so I will be able to let everyone know what difference a reduction in bump pressure makes on the same style shock. Then I will sell the existing Bilsteins so the changeover won't be much. Sport.