Axle Tramping

CRAMMED XR6

• Member For: 18y 8m 13d

Hey all,

pretty much since I got my car its had a bit of an issue. when it breaks traction it gets a massive axle hop and ive noticed its been getting worse and worse. its fine to drive normally, but wheres the fun in that :crybaby: in the wet ive tried a few 'experiments' like add more wheel spin. this just adds more axle hop.

What to do...?

Do they all have this problem with stock suspension to some extent? Or is mine :spoton:

Ive done the bounce on the back of the car test, the shocks appear to be fine. But are they still up to the job?

Thanks,

MaccA

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 3d

I've got King Springs and Bilstein shocks. Still get axle tramp, though not as bad as with the stock suspension.

I thought it was partly due to T/C being on, but it also happens with T/C off.

f'ked if I know what the solution is, apart from welding struts in place of the springs and shocks :censored:

• Member For: 21y 6m 2d
I've got King Springs and Bilstein shocks. Still get axle tramp, though not as bad as with the stock suspension.

I thought it was partly due to T/C being on, but it also happens with T/C off.

f'ked if I know what the solution is, apart from welding struts in place of the springs and shocks :roflmbo:

Hey all,

pretty much since I got my car its had a bit of an issue. when it breaks traction it gets a massive axle hop and ive noticed its been getting worse and worse. its fine to drive normally, but wheres the fun in that :roflmbo: in the wet ive tried a few 'experiments' like add more wheel spin. this just adds more axle hop.

What to do...?

Do they all have this problem with stock suspension to some extent? Or is mine :roflmbo:

Ive done the bounce on the back of the car test, the shocks appear to be fine. But are they still up to the job?

Thanks,

MaccA

Hi Macca, not sure if yours is a sedan or ute but utes normally have far worse axle tramp than sedans so if you can improve a ute a sedan "should be easier" following the same principles. I have lowered Kings and Bilsteins so I rang Bilstein and asked how the V8 ute racers overcome axle tramp and they do it quite simply by modifying the rear shocks by reducing the pressure on compresion (or bump) and incresing the pressure on rebound. This should also help your quarter mile times. The only down side would be if you carry heavy loads in the rear of your car. I have done heaps of suspension work on my Tornado and the handling is fantastic but I am going to rework the rear shocks to improve it further. Hope this helps. Sport