Blown Cv's? Hope It's Not The Diff.

ZelchXR6T

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 16d

Ouch, sorry to hear this!

I'm currently exploring options for a new auto, but CVs seem to be an increasing issue as power levels continue to increase.

What power/torque are you running?

• Member For: 17y 11m 30d
Out of interest, what did you do with your box, did you re-do a T5 or go the T56?

Rebuilt the T5. I found out that it was a clip that broke that caused me to lose 5th, and apparently the box was in really good condition. They seem to think that the power had nothing to do with it even though they shouldn't be able to cope that power! Couldn't afford the T56, anyways, I'm still selling the car.

• Member For: 17y 11m 30d
Ouch, sorry to hear this!

I'm currently exploring options for a new auto, but CVs seem to be an increasing issue as power levels continue to increase.

What power/torque are you running?

Thanks mate :spoton:

Yeah, CV's weren't something that I thought about much until it just happened. Apparently mine went because my car is so low at the back , and this caused unnnecessary stress on the components (ball cage etc). Theres a few threads on the site regarding stronger CV's that would be worth a read.

Of the top of my head I only know the power is 325rwkw. Not sure on torque. Power curve is pretty rapid though.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 12d

that's a good point danny, the territory from CV hasn't popped theirs yet so I would say they are a bit stronger, then again, how long is a piece of string? I'll wander around to service and have a chat...

• 11 months later...
  • Member For: 21y 27d

ZelchXR6T Ive done my right CV joint (05 Typhoon) under boost when dropping the clutch with brand new tyres and not enough throttle (it was shuddering with too much grip from tyres - not clean wheelspin - and I didnt back off soon enough)... my symptons where just as you have decribed.

I was worried I damaged my diff at first too, but I didnt... with the CVs breaking first (being the weakest point), your diff should hopefully be OK!

good luck mate

Venom

• Member For: 21y 27d

P.S. If I were you Id definitely get upgraded CV replacement for peace of mind... the ford ones are crap... I got a ford one put back in mine and its always in the back of my mind now to be extra careful. Not saying I want to be able to treat my car like crap and thrash it, I drive it pretty well without hurting it too much... but I do like to have spontaneous fun at times ;-)