Tune Standard Ecu Or Aftermarket?

Jet4L

• Member For: 17y 6m 9d

hey just wanting some opinions on running standard ecu's compared to after market ones, such as the new haltech.. so far ive been told differnt things about each, and have had both recommended by different people. anyone whos had experience with either.. let me know what you think..

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 4d

You will find the best way is to use the standard computer and tune it with the edit unit.

Ian

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 10m 9d

Brian (BCL) has used both (though MOTEC not Haltech) and found he couldn't get the car to run properly with the aftermarket computer. Some people do use a piggyback computer (Xede I thnk) in conjunction with Edit, Craig (Geea) was one.

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 26d

so if you custom tune the piggy back haltech, motec etc, you will get no better result than a flash tuner (with custom tune)??? is that right.

also I'm looking at a few cars for sale, one of which has a haltech, the other standard ecu, is it worth buying the stock ecu 1 and flashing it or the haltech equiped 1... cars are much the same otherwise

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 19d

Flash tuner is the way to go, piggy backs are old tech for these cars.

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 2d
so if you custom tune the piggy back haltech, motec etc, you will get no better result than a flash tuner (with custom tune)??? is that right.

Yes.... your result will not be as good.... it's not just about peak power, but overall torque delivery and drivability.

You have to distinguish just what functions a piggyback is using.

The more basic piggybacks that we orginally used (Unichip & XEDE) drove the timing, fuel and boost.... good in their day.

The TSI piggyback was able to directly drive the injectors as well... and a step up again in performance.

The Motec wasn't really a piggyback; it was driving ALL engine management functions the way mine was set up... but starting and idle was very poor.

The Motec gave me no more power than the Edit. Once the Edit was available with independent cam timing capability, it then gave the same level of drivability, but far superior starting and idle than the Motec.

I'm not sure of what functions the haltech performs.

The main advanatge of the piggybacks is that they allow real-time tuning. Capa Edit is a pain for the tuners, as it is very slow to use.

The Edit allows a multitude of parameter changes ; the piggyback on it's own doesn't get remotely close. With the right changes Edit can also support very large injectors.

Brian

• Member For: 17y 8m 4d
Yes.... your result will not be as good.... it's not just about peak power, but overall torque delivery and drivability.

You have to distinguish just what functions a piggyback is using.

The more basic piggybacks that we orginally used (Unichip & XEDE) drove the timing, fuel and boost.... good in their day.

The TSI piggyback was able to directly drive the injectors as well... and a step up again in performance.

The Motec wasn't really a piggyback; it was driving ALL engine management functions the way mine was set up... but starting and idle was very poor.

The Motec gave me no more power than the Edit. Once the Edit was available with independent cam timing capability, it then gave the same level of drivability, but far superior starting and idle than the Motec.

I'm not sure of what functions the haltech performs.

The main advanatge of the piggybacks is that they allow real-time tuning. Capa Edit is a pain for the tuners, as it is very slow to use.

The Edit allows a multitude of parameter changes ; the piggyback on it's own doesn't get remotely close. With the right changes Edit can also support very large injectors.

Brian

I also had a very bad Motec experience. Had to tie car to back fence at night to stop it wandering and shagging the neighbours cat. Use to howl at the full moon too. Dont go there Mate!