Driving Car Once A Week?

XRT330

• Member For: 20y 9m 5d

Hi Guys

I have a general question. Is it ok to drive a car once a week? How long can a car sit before it starts to damage the engine? Should it be driven twice a week etc?

I would expect starting a car once a week and driving it should be ok. :tease:

Cheers

XRT330

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 3d

mine sits for 2 to 3 weeks all the time. I just start it and let it idle up to temp before driving. I only really do this because of the foreged piston. In a stocky im sure you could start it up and let it idle for a minute then drive off sedatly.....(ish)..... :tease:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 28d

I would start it a couple of time a week and let it idle for a few mins.... I used to drive my old car one a week or so and used to do that and no issues....

Edited by F6TEEN

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 12d

Once a week is fine

There will be no risk of damage as a week is not a long time

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 22y 15d

Some of my cars only get driven once a week or sometimes longer, and as long as you don't load it up or rev the crapper out of it while the motor is cold you won't do it any harm. If you are only driving it once a week try to make it a good long run rather than short trips. And, idling for l o n g periods is not good either - just long enough to get the temp needle on the move.

• Member For: 18y 1m 1d

There is absolutely no need to start and idle your car should you only be driving it once a week. You will glaze the bores with it just sitting there idling cold and shutting down luke warm.

Start it up when you want to drive and and do as you normally would. We are talking about modern cars and modern technology... If you are talking months of no drive time, then all you need to do is disconnect the battery and keep it on trickle, and walk away.

Look at all the cars that sit in holding yards for ages, they dont have anything done to them, then someone comes along, turns it over and delivers it to its new owner.

• Iconoclast
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 29d

My car sat in a shed for weeks and weeks sometimes on end, only thing I had trouble with was the battery as the system seems to have something that drains it, rust converter or alarm I am not sure, but everytime it went flat it saved just enough wattage to just (and only just ) start it........ If you dont have a typhoon dont worry

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 12d

I think you should take it out for a run once a week. Warm it up gently and then let it rip ... then cool her down and park her. It is a waste letting such cars sit around.

Mine gets driven just about every day, I have plenty of battlescars on it and enjoy driving it everywhere.