Mitsubishi 380 ES Sedan 74.5

Expensive Daewoo Late model camira Omega Sedan 74

Mitsubishi 380 (All except ES) Sedan 73

Chrysler 300C Sedan 67.5

Hyundai Grandeur Sedan 64

Toyota Aurion Sportivo ZR-6 Sedan 63

Ford BFII Falcon XT Sedan 57.5

Sourced from http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/motor/car-...ing/large.shtml

I stumbled across this info and it got me thinking about what would happen if someone stole my car. I've also had a couple of nightmares about this happening. Considering that the above scores are out of 120, they're all below par anyway. I could just imagine going to the carpark after work and the car not there. Knowing that someone else is in YOUR car which You own and paid for and cared for would just :suck: me to tears. I think that because mine has bright orange GT stripes it would spot out so im pretty safe I think. But if it did happen I would call up the radio stations and tell them to tell the listners to look out for my car - that's bound to get results.

What would you guys do and how do you feel about the whole stolen car thing???

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 14d

I'd be pretty pissed off BUT if someone was seriously threatening me or my friends / family / gf I would simply hand over the keys and be thankful knowing I have a decent insurance policy with a decent company :) If the situation called for me to fight back I probably would (but then again im nearly 6'6 and 115kgs and built like a brick dunny) but it wouldnt be worth anyone getting hurt for a bit of depreciating metal!

Making cars harder to steal is a catch 22 I think.. I know if I was a car theif (and I think they ALL deserve to crash at high speeds and kill themselves) making a car harder to steal would just make me target the owner. Snatch and grab of the keys, late night break ins, intersection at gun point etc..

Edited by Mat

• Member For: 17y 3m 12d

Speaking of which my aunty has a 2006 Saab convertible and about six months ago had someone try to hijack it we beieve. Her and my uncle were on the corner of Stock rd in spearwood stopped at a red light late at night on a friday. My uncle started driving off when the light went green, and at exactly that point in time, my aunty heard a sound like when you lift the door handle and release it quickly with a thud. the door was half open-shut, where it rattles loosely but doesn't actually open. also the interior light came on while they were driving off. Very scary. pays to lock your doors at night

The value of a car is NEVER worth the pain of losing relatives, friends, etc. I completely agree Mat.

Edited by AC's BA

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 14d

Yer I've heard more and more stories like this coming out of Perth... Sometimes I'd rather someone be able to break into my car easily than to break into my house to steal my keys etc. Sounds like aunty and uncle had a lucky escape. Something I would hate to imagine.

My GF"s next door neighbour a had this happen to them as well about 8 weeks back. About 2am a car theif walked through my gf's back yard, jumped the fence and broke into the next door neighbours. The young guy (fresh outta prison apparently.... But of course that's another debate!!) lined up all the car keys (5 cars out the front as its a biggish family) and took the HSV after the dad came yelling down the stairs.. He even came back about 15min later to taunt them before the police arrived and took off. This is in Harbour Rise opposite Hillarys Marina.

I also work with a few South Africans who have told me some dodgy tricks that will eventually make there way over here (I mean who isnt going to stop for a person lying in the middle of the road..) SCARY!!

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 22y 16d

What would I do if I came back to the carpark and found my car missing? I'd phone it up and ask it where it was. Then I'd phone the coppers and tell them about it, and, after they located it, if it was still mobile, I would ask them to disable the engine and cuff the fuggers.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 4d
I also work with a few South Africans who have told me some dodgy tricks that will eventually make there way over here (I mean who isnt going to stop for a person lying in the middle of the road..) SCARY!!

heard a story once of a lady who was wise to this trick, swerved off the road to avoid them at night, over some bumpy ground, and continued on unawares.

next day found out the 'bumpy ground' was 2 blokes waiting to hijack her car. they didn't make it but no great loss I spose.

if my car was getting stolen I'd let em have it. its what insurance is for I rekon. probably wouldn't be able to resist threatening them if I was getting hijacked though. wouldn't try and fight but.

• 12" member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 3d

my neighbour is a midrange copper and was talking about carjackings the other night - he said theres a special task force being developed to deal with it because its becoming a real danger over here, esp with guns etc..

main offenders?? black africans !! not being racist or anything but he reckons 90% of the time its expat somalians etc..

fark that, they can have my car - that's what insurance is for..

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 2d

It's unfortunate though as now I never stop for anyone broken down on the side of the road. Used to be a good samaritan, but now you never know what's hiding in the long grass.

Probably an over-reaction but I'm f*cked if I'm going to take the chance.

There's probably a greater risk driving through suburban areas and stopping at traffic lights though I guess. :tonguepoke:

• Member For: 17y 3m 12d

I understand the whole insurance thing where you wouldn't worry about it because they will cover it. but it might be a write-off, in which case all the hard work spent on it goes down the drain, you just get a normal replacement which wont have everything. And then you don't know what they do in it. Perhaps a syringe in the drivers seat cushion, bodily fluids you dont wanna know in strange places - I guess it would be the thought of not knowing whats happened in it