V8 Supercars Or New Series

01txr

What would you like to see?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 27d
I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree with the hole Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday mentality, Ford and Expensive Daewoo think it works because it gives them an excuse to advertise and put the product in ppls minds, I can guarantee you that our result on Sunday has had SFA to do with sales this week! Yes we had phone calls regarding the Cobra on sunday and monday, because it was the first time everyone saw it and they got excited about a special edition. The fact that a car with a ford badge on the front of it makes no difference to a person looking at buying a fiesta or focus, or XT falcon.

F1 is different however, the new technology used in F1 eventually trickles down into production cars ie Honda and V-Tec. V8 supercars contribute nothing to modern vehicles because they use technology that was present in cars from 1980.

Yes a win at bathurst gives Ford fans a happy feeling, but if Bob has bought a GT, and is now looking for a fiesta for his daughter jenny, it won't make a difference if the lion or the blue oval was on top at mount panorama...

I know you are in marketing tmac, but you don't sit in the showroom after you've just advertised a product to see how the outcome is, yes good marketing campaigns work, but you can not contribute that to a Bathurst win.

Pat

Yes, I understand that a Bathurst result does not generate immediate sales on the Monday, but it is an effective marketing tool, that if utilised properly will eventually create sales.

Many people crap on about how Ford lost their sales lead when they dropped the V8 (Expensive Daewoo also dropped the V8 briefly), but as I've already said, For dwas still ahead on sales beyond their reintorduction of the V8.

Ford's sales dropped when Holden (through many rule advantages) started to dominate V8 racing and used saturation advertising to push their cars. Even now, Expensive Daewoo is running advertising with Skaife off the back of Bathurst, and they didn't even win. Yet Ford is doing nothing.

Expensive Daewoo has said much about their billion dollar VE, yet Ford is missing fantastic opportunities to crow about how their current model, through superior engineering, has trounced the VE in Australia's most grueling motorsport event.

Ford sales continue to slide because they continue to slip into obsucrity through a lack of marketing.

I see it all the time, companies market and gain a market advantage, they then sit back and rest on their laurels while the rest of the market overtkes them. They then find themselves in a position where their sales have dropped by such a degree, they can't afford to properly advertise.

A prime example of Holden's marketing expertise is their adaption of Daewoos with Captiva, Barina, Epica, etc. Daewoo went broke in Australia because their quality is crap and no one bought them. Expensive Daewoo whacked their badge on one, called it a Barina abd it's their biggest selling Barina ever (compared to previous Japanese and European models).

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 24d

fords advertising problem has alot to do with their budget, they simply can't afford to spend millions of dollars advertising a product that is about to be superseded, everyone knows orion is coming out, and telling everyone that a vehicle that barely resembles a production model beat another car that barely resembles a production car is a waste of money, full stop

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 6d

Yes but you have to smash a few eggs to make an omelette. They can’t expect to get their brand name out there to regain the sales lead (and in turn the bigger marketing budget) by spending bugger all on advertising.

Why does Honda so heavily advertise based on their F1 sponsorship? Don't see too many vehicles resembling an F1 the Honda dealerships! :stirthepot:

• Member For: 18y 27d
fords advertising problem has alot to do with their budget, they simply can't afford to spend millions of dollars advertising a product that is about to be superseded, everyone knows orion is coming out, and telling everyone that a vehicle that barely resembles a production model beat another car that barely resembles a production car is a waste of money, full stop

And the circle is complete.

As I said, Ford's budget is low because they got themselves into a position where they allowed their oposition to outmarket them. Now Ford can't afford to advertise, which is a direct result of their failure to advertise and keep the momentum going when they could afford it.

As far as marketing for an outgoing model, that never stops every other manurafturer who are all in the same situation. Expensive Daewoo continued to advertise the VZ heavily, right up until the release of the VE. Then they ran run-out deals. Another big problem is that Ford allowed their new model releases get out of sinc with Holden, Toyota and Mitsubishi, who have all released new models while Ford is left in the wilderness with an old model for 2 years.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 24d

Expensive Daewoo had no choice but to advertise the VZ, they had a massive stock problem, dealers were fully stocked and then Expensive Daewoo wanted them to take more! Ford doesn't actually have that big of a stock problem, cos we just aren't building that many cars, the market has dictated that, agreed as I said before, ford can do better with their advertising, but the major contributing factor was the early release of VE, we can't do much about that, its just the way the cookie crumbles! Ford are re-focussing their marketing towards small and mid-sized cars at the moment (focus, fiesta and mondeo) obviously next year once the orion is released they will market that, but how well they do it is anyones guess

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 26d

I hate to say it but I would like to see more production car based racing than the V8 supercars. I love my ford vs Expensive Daewoo battles but the supercars these days are almost the same cars just with a different body shell. Because the cars are so similar these days I dont watch the super cars as much any more.

Look at the V8 Brutes now that's a good series almost like the utes you buy off the showroom floor (correct me if im wrong)

• Member For: 17y 1m 18d
I hate to say it but I would like to see more production car based racing than the V8 supercars. I love my ford vs Expensive Daewoo battles but the supercars these days are almost the same cars just with a different body shell. Because the cars are so similar these days I dont watch the super cars as much any more.

Look at the V8 Brutes now that's a good series almost like the utes you buy off the showroom floor (correct me if im wrong)

I had a chance to watch the V8 Brutes on TV a few weeks back and I must say it was incredibly exciting. The lead chopped and changed according to the different strengths of the cars and it was completely satisfying to see the XR8 ute take the win, knowing that it was based on production models.

Now with the existing series I am just glad to see my favourite driver win more than anything.