Clutch Problems

Meggs_83

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 17y 5m 16d

Well cost is round $11k so I'll be on the look out for some second hand gear, flywheel to gearbox including sump. been told gearbox could need replacing as input shaft took a hit bad. 2 huge holes in chassis from flying debris bout the size of 50cent pieces. exhaust took a hit just before cat (quote was nearly a grand) said I'll chase up my own parts thank you

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 27d

The clutch in my 6 speed BF was slipping. Capa flash, generic 8psi tune had me running 235rwkw. Never raced, never to the strip, never riding, rarely launched it quickly but she started slipping. Just ordered a mal wood option 3, had planned on further mods, so was expecting this eventually, but not after 30000km with a flash only. Clutch is the fuse in the driveline, just hope the rest of it stands up once I start chasing some serious power. F$%king ford dealer, quoted me $600 for labour to install a clutch. I got quoted Less than $250 by 2 other workshops, but ford already had the car with the gearbox on the floor (I was hoping the clutch slipping might be due to something I could warranty) and were going to charge me $400 to put it back together so I could get it done elsewhere. I lost it! The guy said the best they could do was $420. I said ok, but rest assured, they won't see me again. Bastards.

• Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 5m 30d
The clutch in my 6 speed BF was slipping. Capa flash, generic 8psi tune had me running 235rwkw. Never raced, never to the strip, never riding, rarely launched it quickly but she started slipping. Just ordered a mal wood option 3, had planned on further mods, so was expecting this eventually, but not after 30000km with a flash only. Clutch is the fuse in the driveline, just hope the rest of it stands up once I start chasing some serious power. F$%king ford dealer, quoted me $600 for labour to install a clutch. I got quoted Less than $250 by 2 other workshops, but ford already had the car with the gearbox on the floor (I was hoping the clutch slipping might be due to something I could warranty) and were going to charge me $400 to put it back together so I could get it done elsewhere. I lost it! The guy said the best they could do was $420. I said ok, but rest assured, they won't see me again. Bastards.

The main problem with the price of repairs is INEXPERIANCE, most of the techs in the dealerships need a bomb up their rear! We charge $220 to $250 to fit on of our clutch kits and it takes no more than 3 hours to fit a Flywheel and Clutch to the BA/BF V8 or 6. If Ben and Myself get serious we can fit one in an Hour between us. Mal

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 25d

mal, what is your take on the original posters failure? do you think it was driver inflicted or do you think that the clutch would most likely have had a problem before this happened?

cheers

mal, what is your take on the original posters failure? do you think it was driver inflicted or do you think that the clutch would most likely have had a problem before this happened?

cheers

3rd gear sideways possibly quite close to limiter. chasing Mal up for option 3 and a garage other than ford. but living in esperance it's hard because there's not alot of cars modified in town, always done elsewhere. wish I had a hoist :w00t2:

• Member For: 17y 3m 25d

mate sorry to hear it. that looks real nasty!

my MK1 T5 did something similar at 80k, melted thrust bearing and totally rooted pressure plate, clutch and flywheel.

I bought mine 2nd hand so the dude before me musta left a fair bita rubber layin around. im kinda glad it happend though coz now I know that part of my car is brand new.

nothing like a clean start wif some new parts. I sware that the longer I own this thing, the newer it gets!

anyways goodluck with it mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys got the quote in...

Tranny Ass.-$5976

Slave Cyl.-$522

Clutch PP-$635

Clutch Discs-$434

Flywheel-$980

That's just the start, there's another $1500 odd including $935 for cat ass. plus over $1000 for labour. Hello Mal Wood and xforce me thinks...

...a very expensive lesson!

:innocent: