Ute Lining Modification

xr6me

• Member For: 18y 2m 19d

It would be a lot easier to mod the lid and add a buldge like you have a spare wheel in the back.

Cheaper as its only glass not metal just my 10 cents worth

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 26d

When my old man bought the ute I now own he had some work equipment that he needs to fit under the hardlid which was only slightly bigger (hieght not length) than the hardlid would allow.

We knew a dude that worked at ford so he went to clark rubber and bought some rubber lining and glued it around the edge of the hardlid to raise it.

He drilled some new holes for the locks at the back (raised them), and used some longer bolts and added a strut type thing for the front (cabin end)... Its a BF hardlid and it raised it about 4 inches. When I bought it off me dad, it looked really high and I didnt like it, I barely ever have anythin in the tray so I ripped the rubber out, and basically took the struts out the front, went back to shorter bolts and screwed the locks back in the original holes and lowered it back to factory.

Maybe you should look into this as opposed to what you were thinkin??

Edited by Dirty32

• Member For: 18y 5m 27d

Just to end the debate that there is no room underneath the tub liner

Use your imagination and picture it without the tipping kit I have installed on it and you will see a flat chassis. This is what the tub sits on, there is metal under the tub liner and this sits directly on this part.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 23d

When there's a will there's a way!

With a bit of modification you could gain a few inches here and there - definitely not worth the drama though. A tonneau cover would be the sensible option.

PS: Not suggesting lowering the whole tray before your knickers get twisted again, just a section!

Edited by tab

• Member For: 17y 3m 15d
Just to end the debate that there is no room underneath the tub liner

Use your imagination and picture it without the tipping kit I have installed on it and you will see a flat chassis. This is what the tub sits on, there is metal under the tub liner and this sits directly on this part.

so it seems there is room behind the wheel arch, where there is no chassis; so dropping just a section, the width of the wheel arch, directly behind it to the tailgate could be an option? does anyone have a contact to whom I could talk to about it? I've tried a couple of panel beaters but they dont do this sort of work.

• Member For: 20y 9d

you COULD get under the ute, find a section of plastic tub that u CAN access and add a few inches depth, mark a square big enough to fit your oversized blow off valve in and get a plastic welder to make like a "lunchbox" section that hangs down.

that's about all u can do mate...