Ba Heater Control Arm

Old Tom

• Member For: 17y 3m 30d

Hi, I originally posted this in Ford discussion but this is probably the right place (I hope so any way). Has any one had the heater control arm or heater rod go on them? My heater works but the arm or rod which connects to the heater temp knob has broken (they think) and won't open the vent to allow heat to come out. Been quoted 6 to 7 hours labour. they reckon $700 plus $20 for the part.

Is this something you can do by yourself and does anyone know how? Getting really cold now!!

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 5d

Tom,

I gather your car is not under warranty ?

If not then I would try another Ford dealer and see what they say.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 27d

Almost anything to do with the air mixer requires the dash to be removed to fix it, so thus the 6-7 hours labour (I've done it a couple or 3 times).

Incidentally, there is no arm which connect to the temp button, as this is all controlled electrically, so it's either the HIM module or the control arm which has just lost connection with the HIM stepper motor I would think!

Not easy to say without looking at it.

Anyway, good luck :spoton:

• Member For: 20y 10m 14d

commonly the arm on the actuator breaks, its a little plastic piece. you can hear the motor moving when the dieal is turned, but not heat changed is the regular symptom. unfortuneatly its a dash out job

• Member For: 17y 5m 18d

Piss easy job, as said above, unless your car is full of poorly fitted phone kits, trailor brakes etc. anyone with half an idea will do it in under 2 hours, ive seen the job done in under an hour with a guy bustin his chops, and ive done them myself in 1.5 hours cruisin slowly (still using air tools though).... a dealer will quote you 3.5 minimum as its there standard repair time....

Edited by XR_Brute

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 18y 2m 15d
Hi, I originally posted this in Ford discussion but this is probably the right place (I hope so any way). Has any one had the heater control arm or heater rod go on them? My heater works but the arm or rod which connects to the heater temp knob has broken (they think) and won't open the vent to allow heat to come out. Been quoted 6 to 7 hours labour. they reckon $700 plus $20 for the part.

Is this something you can do by yourself and does anyone know how? Getting really cold now!!

Hey Mate

I just had my heater stop working on my BA XR6 T also. Sounds like the same problem, I turn the dial and the temp doesn't change. Everything else works fine, especially the A/C, BRRRRRRR!

Anyway, what did you do to fix yours in the end as I will need to fix mine now too.

Any info would be great.

Anthony

0419 044 472

• Member For: 17y 11m 20d

I've joined this club too, no heater. I can turn the knob and hear the little motor turn but no heat. I've half pulled stuff apart today hoping it would be the rod/arm but no luck (see the picces), everything looks in tact. The fact the I can hear the motor turn (sounds like its in the white unit in piccy 1) as I move the dial, does this suggest that white unit is faulty (whats that called by the way, is it the VIM?).

Any help much appreciated.

post-9765-1181967311_thumb.jpg

post-9765-1181967321_thumb.jpg

post-9765-1181967329_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 17y 11m 20d

update: I see that yellow connector and rod is for the vent select, so wheres the the one for hot/cold, or is it internal?? I running out of ideas.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 3m 30d
Hey Mate

I just had my heater stop working on my BA XR6 T also. Sounds like the same problem, I turn the dial and the temp doesn't change. Everything else works fine, especially the A/C, BRRRRRRR!

Anyway, what did you do to fix yours in the end as I will need to fix mine now too.

Any info would be great.

Anthony

0419 044 472