Electric Water Pumps?

around $300 and there is a smaller one EWP80 and EWP110 the numbers ref to the L they pump.

I went the bigger one as the EWP80 seems to top out at the 4000CC mark and this is not a product you'd want to run at its limits.

There was a guys at Power Cruise that blow away most things on the dyno with his old Charger he had the EWP110 fitted and loved it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 17y 4m 23d

Mate has an electric pump on his statesman. Was a lot of stuffing around to make it work but he reckons it was probably worth it. He actually has it on a turbo timer so the pump continues to run for a few minutes after he shuts the engine down which can't hurt. His biggest issue is that his heaters don't work real good anymore :roflmbo: .But he didn't remove the water pump pulley, just the impeller.

I just feel that your only doing half the job if you remove the impeller and leave the pulley, I want to go all out and do it right then theres no questions if it works or not.

• Member For: 19y 5m 28d

Hi, I have an electric water pump on my Cobra race car (chev powered) and they are fantastic. It is now about 15 years old - and still going strong. Along with an aluminium race radiator it keeps the car really cool. In fact if anything, you want to get one of the controllers so that it slows the pump down to a circulating speed rather than pumping flat out when the car is cool (kind of like a thermostat).

In my case - the electric pump sits in the place of the standard pump so that the inlet to each head is in the standard location. There just isnt a pulley on it.

Would I put one on a road car? -probably not - unnecessary for the extra bit of power. In my case - my car has a dry sump system that is driven off the crank - so... I am sure that generates more drag than the water pump. It is better for controlling the heat of the car.

Interesting to see how you go.

Theres no question that I'll cry some what if I cook the engine at some point but I'll only have myself to blame if it goes that way.

The Cost of a replacement donk just isn't that much so Im willing to give it a go.

• Member For: 18y 3m 17d

there is a few issues I have with these - first being battery. the pump running when the car is off is not good for the battery in any way it will take its toll on the battery over time. No matter how effiecient it is its still an electrical motor and it still puts strain on the battery. I wouldnt run one without a deep cycle battery!

Belt issues have been covered by you lot its a big issue.

And failure! I know a bloke an engine builder who runs one in a 253 powered torana failed after 2 and a bit years nearly cooked the donk.

as for horsepower - the windsor blokes in the states in their 5.0 stangs get 11hp. For us in our brand new modern cars to get 9-10rwkw in my opinion is a little on the optimistic side im thinking more like 4-6kw max. its about 10hp on a clevo too afaik so go from those figures.

• Member For: 18y 3m 17d
I seriously doubt running the water pump for a couple of minutes will put a lot of strain on the battery

When your battery is on its way out that few minutes of water pump could be the difference of your car starting or not.

• Member For: 20y 3m 19d

Ok I will fess up Greg.I rang Craig Davies water pumps 2 months ago. The said it gained power because the mechanical water pump wont have the resistance of the water. To install one sounds silly.You have to gut your old pump and keep the belt. This put me offside straight away.Also for a bloke like me ..the electric pumps have a limited lifespan. In my car those pumps would not last 2 years . For reliability I am sticking to the standard one.

I am sure you will gain power but how much is the question? Is there dyno proof ?

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 19y 5m 24d

NOSXR

Did you ever get around to fitting the electric water pump? What were the result if you did?

Anyways I have gotten my hands onto a couple of goodies and hopefully will have an answer to exactly how much power can be made from the fitment of an electric water pump to these engines.

My Plan is to run a remote inline pump (same as below) and make up a plate to replace the stock pump that will retain the stock belt routing.

I personally believe that there is possibly 6-10rwkw that could be gained with this mod, anyways I will post up the results once I have the pump fitted, which I am hoping to have done within the next month.

WP336azoom.jpg