Electric Water Pumps?

Just looking at the idea of how I'd go about fitting an Electric water pump to my car.

Questions rain on this subject, heres some of them.

Why?

Well its said these types of pumps free up power. The water pumps I looking at fitting are the same water pumps on Ferrari and Mc Claren F1 cars. Aussie made too.

How much power?

I don't think there'd be much in it really, but I'd be happy to be wrong, done right the way Im thinking around 10rwkw.

Is this a mod to be bothered with as a Turbo owner?

I wouldn’t bother, just twist up you boost some more.

post-4521-1179135042_thumb.jpg

I don't think removing the impeller on the water pump is enough to reduce drag on the accessories belt because the pulley wheel on its own is not easy to turn by hand, I tried it on a new pump the other day at Ford.

My idea is remove the water pump pulley and impeller 100%. Leaving only the old pump housing as a plug. This then gives rise to possible clearance issue for the belt as it passes back towards the main Balancer or Crankshaft on its way to the alternator.

There seems to be two ways around this problem, raise the tensioner so the belt has a clear path to the alternator or just rase the alternator.

I think its safe to say there maybe around 10 rwkw in this modification all going well as the Under drive gave me 9 rwkw with just its reduction in the balancers size.

I think installing a electric water pump could be the ducks guts for N/A I6 Falcons, but it has to be done right.

Heres some pic’s

post-4521-1179135136_thumb.jpg

post-4521-1179135223_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 27d

Would be interesting to see the end result; I would have thought the load on your alternator would have just as much detriment to power.

Would be interesting to see the end result; I would have thought the load on your alternator would have just as much detriment to power.

True but I can't get away with no alternator.........ha ha..........would if I could.

Bugger knows if it works, but if you look at these electric pumps in the US they seem to make them to fit a lot of V8s.

• Member For: 17y 8m 24d
True but I can't get away with no alternator.........ha ha..........would if I could.

Bugger knows if it works, but if you look at these electric pumps in the US they seem to make them to fit a lot of V8s.

I would be looking into how reliable they are, if it were to fail it would be disastrous. Ask Ruger, I think he looked into these and decided against it.

Good point Doogstar, the pump I have has a 2 year warrenty.

It would be good to know if it would work before going the mod, theres no question it'll do the job but as for the reliabilty bugger knows.

What do you think about the rest of the idea?

There is no where near enough belt on the crankshaft in your diagram Nos, you would need to look at re routing the belt to get more wrap around the balancer like standard.

Im 100% with that.

I'd rather lift the alternator and keep the tensioner in place which leaves the Crankshaft/Balancer with max belt time.

• Member For: 17y 8m 24d
Good point Doogstar, the pump I have has a 2 year warrenty.

It would be good to know if it would work before going the mod, theres no question it'll do the job but as for the reliabilty bugger knows.

What do you think about the rest of the idea?

I think anything that takes the strain of the motor and give you more power has some merit.

So I think it's a good idea in theory. You can also run it between runs to keep the engine cooler.

I have thought about ways to remove the A/C out of the loop in such a way that it can be hooked up again come summer. Although I don't think it would have much drag on the engine when it's off so maybe it's not worth the effort, certainly not as big a difference as the water pump. The one in the picture for a V8, have you found one to suit a 6? I think that's the other thing that stopped Ruger going ahead with it. They are about $300 aren't they?