Turbo Is Fruit Caked!

apac77

• Member For: 18y 7m 15d

hi guys,

well just had a service on my car purely because I thought the bearing were making a strange sound on my turbo, and was just given the bad news that my turbo is goooone.

so I'm sitting here totally friggen depressed and upset cuz they're around $3500 ex gst new from ford (that's in Cairns, QLD of course), and well I really don't know what to do now.

Can I ask if anyone has a turbo for sale to suit the 2003 BA Turbo Sedan? (I'm assuming the turbos are the same across all models, but don't quote me on that).

Or does anyone know of a good reputable wrecking yard that might have a turbo for sale to suit my model xr6t?

I'm gonna have to take out a loan by the looks of things to fix this problem. Mechanics told me that because the oil wasn't changed soon enough, that the turbo shares the engine oil and hence the dirty oil collapsed the bearings and then the impellor has collapsed and it's basically grinding away.

The mechanic said you could get away with driving home for now, but he reckons small particles could fracture off, pass through the intercooler and blow the engine.

Bloody hell, I'm already stressed as it is, and now this..... ah man (sob sob sob).....

Any help at this time would be really greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Stevo

P.S. Please feel free to msg through your condolence messages to 0424 141 030 or any points of advise....

Edited by apac77

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 24d

Hey man, sorry to hear your news...

You should be able to get yours recoed or changeover for better than that price id think,

otherwise they come up on ebay every now and again for a bit over a grand.

Hope you get it sorted out soon!

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m

mate sorry to here :stirthepot: As you stated in your post , I would be getting on the phone to the wreckers ASAP as Fraud service will tear you a new one.

As far as I know the turbo's haven't changed since 03 .Maybe PM Blueboost , I think he is in either Townville or Mackay , but he probably would have an idea of where in NQ to to source one.

Best of luck ,and hope you get it sorted without too much hassle or coin :spoton:

sh*t that's bad news man. 3 grand far out that's alot of cash that can go to other places. Im sure you can pick up a turbo from a wrecker but I would assume they sell them complete as an xr6t engine.

Just out of curiosity how long has it been since you did a change? I just picked up my car and its only been changed every 15k by the previous owner. I've always serviced my cars at 10k. You have me worried now....lol

Edited by sir_juggsalot

• Member For: 18y 7m 15d

Yeah that's what scared the crap outta me, cuz I'd serviced it at 15,000k also. I just got a bit lazy cuz I always dropped oil out at 5k, but you know kids and stuff, work busy busy....

Word of advice, don't neglect these cars at all and drop that oil every 5k....

• Member For: 20y 8m 8d

I bought an XR6T turbo this week, it should be in transit now. The wastegate has been welded shut but it has been recoed since it has been on a car. I only payed $400 for it. So if you keep an eye out there are cheap ones to be had. They are regularily on ebay for $1K second hand. GCG sell them with a different front housing for $2200ish I think. Im pretty sure you can fit your stock housing onto it if it is undamaged.

Edited by dansedgli

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 27d

Rint MTQ (dynamic turbo systems) i believe they have an office in q/l and the n/t. They get it done for less than half of what you've been qouted. New wheels arent even that expensive. Less than $400 each.

Luke