Another Mercury On The Road

• Member For: 21y 10m 25d

I’ve now had my XR6 T for just over 2 weeks so I thought it was time to post the obligatory pics. I’ve done just over 1000 clicks and so far so good. Here’s my lowdown:

Delivery & Dealer aspects

No complaints with my dealer at all. Knowledge of the product was good and anything they weren’t sure of, they found out. Estimates of delivery dates given to me back in December ended up being spot on. The wait was still hard but ultimately worth it. All additional items (lock nuts, alarm upgrade, boot lid liner) that I asked for the week of delivery were fitted and ready to go. They even fitted slim line plates for no charge cause they thought they looked better! :unsure:

Small issues found after delivery were a couple of small bubbles in the tint, some very fine small scratches on the passenger side rear alloy and an incorrectly fitted rubber seal on the window. All have already been rectified. A little annoyed with the scratches on the rim but I only found them a week later and there was no way you could see them unless you were looking for something (as I was :geek: ). They’ve been touched up nicely.

Minor Grievances

-The hidden switches (traction/fog lights/boot & fuel flap release) behind the steering.

- Gear shift has been making a slight creaking noise when changing manually (like a plastic on plastic sound). Seemed OK today though.

- Every now and then I swear the car pulls to the left just before coming to a stop. Keeping an eye on it. A sign that brake shudder is about to start maybe? Hope not.

- No lights in window switches which we have all done to death.

- Nowhere to rest my mobile phone. Don’t have a car kit but the phone slid nicely into a couple of positions in the VT. Hardly a huge issue though.

- Starting to miss the footrest (yes, maybe it is a safety issue but I got used to one)

- No auto lights out when ignition turned off – reminder alarm is too loud but I suppose if your in a noisy environment….

- XR mats pick up every ounce of dirt/crap from your shoes (yes, that’s what they are there for but still annoying).

- Quality of the XR MATS is questionable for the money. Feel a bit thin with a very acrylic looking pile. Maybe makes cleaning them easier.

- Finish of the boot could be better. The standard felt lining looks like it has been cut into shape with a scissors.

- Scared to park the bloody thing anywhere that isn’t well lit or in full view or in a smallish parking spot or where there are kids with footy’s or trolleys….anywhere really.

Good things

- Quite happy with the paint quality. Had a few concerns with things I was hearing about Mercury Silver but no problems. Also happy with my colour selection.

- Fuel economy began at 22.5l/100km. Haven’t reset the trip meter and now showing 15.9l/100km. Last tank returned 13.7l/100km with 60/40 City-Highway driving.

- Leather Seats are very comfortable and supportive.

- Engine note is great

- Holder for the fuel cap when filling up is a nice touch.

- Handling is good in wet and dry. I’m coming from a VT wagon so its not a great comparison but find it much more compliant than the equivalent FE2 in the S, SV8 and SS.

- Size of center console is good

- Non slip map in the deep storage area straight under the aircon controls is great – garage door remote fits perfectly and doesn’t slide everywhere.

- Did I mention she goes OK? :D

General Observations

-When manually changing gears, I find 2nd to 3rd is rougher than 1st to second (maybe still a bit tight).

- Head check is difficult with the thick B pillar.

- Concerned with open nature of intercooler. May look at some mesh insert but not sure how this may affect air flow.

- Finish of some plastics is not great – the inside edge of the front spoiler where the intercooler is mounted looks a bit rough from ground level. 50K for the car is still great value but it ain’t finished like a BMW. Didn’t expect it to be of course.

- Will almost certainly be adding mud flaps - convinced after 1 week of driving.

- Glad I optioned premium sound – sound quality is good without being anything brilliant but set the DSP to Studio and the preset for balance and fade to bias the drivers seat and its more than good enough for me!

- Lid for cup holder is a bit flimsy

- There is a slight drone at 100-110kays but nothing too bad.

- Agree with those who felt the plastic mould on the driver’s door feels flimsy when closing the door, especially if the window is open.

- Those side skirts really have a bit of “give” in them don’t they?

- I hate how everyone drives quickly up behind you and then just sits there…looking.

- I’m enjoying work more (I get to drive it all the way there and all the way back).

Looking back at this list it may appear as though I’m unhappy. On the contrary, overall I’m very satisfied. Have had nothing but good comments and now even my manager (after asking me “What the hell do ya want that for” when I signed the lease papers) also wants one. My one-eyed Expensive Daewoo mate said absolutely nothing as he looked it over which I guess really says it all. Obviously only 1000 kays down so many more hours of driving ahead of me. Great ride, great looks, great car! :unsure:

post-2-1054039129.jpg

• The Best Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 17d
- Every now and then I swear the car pulls to the left just before coming to a stop. Keeping an eye on it. A sign that brake shudder is about to start maybe? Hope not.

I have also experienced this; but it usually happens in the exact same places (especially at one nearby intersection that has ruts in the road from constant heavy vehicle traffic. Therefore I believe it is more a characteristic of the BA's new steering, the distance between the wheels, the width of the wheels, or similar; ie. it tends to move into the ruts. I've had my car for about 2 months and it did this from day one. It has not developed into brake shudder.

• Member For: 21y 10m 25d

I have also experienced this; but it usually happens in the exact same places (especially at one nearby intersection that has ruts in the road from constant heavy vehicle traffic. Therefore I believe it is more a characteristic of the BA's new steering, the distance between the wheels, the width of the wheels, or similar; ie. it tends to move into the ruts. I've had my car for about 2 months and it did this from day one. It has not developed into brake shudder.

You may be right. I tried all sorts of things to replicate it tonight and she stopped straight as an arrow every time.