Hows The Terri Go On Dirt Roads,

fordmanzwis

• TerriGhia
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 6d

I have an AWD Ghia(non turbo).We did a 3 week trip through the NT and outback Qld NSW and SA.Did the loop road from Kings Canyon,birdsville track,strezleki track,walkers crossing,camerons corner ect.Some of these roads are very rough.The terri handled it brilliantly.It was heavily loaded and I did case it out a couple of times doing 110kph on the birdville track.Now the muffler looks a little secondhand.I also did soft sand and very rocky country and could not get it bogged.

I know it is not a landcruiser,but it did this sort of traveling well.If I was planning on doing it again I would invest in a set of raised king springs to help with the wieght and ground clearance.

I also had a lot of fun on fast sandy roads with the dsc.I would delibretly enter a corner too fast,try and thow it sideways and the dsc would just sort it,and around you go.Awsome.

If I was setting 1 up for more of this I would do the springs as mentioned,slightly taller hard terrain tyres (235/65r17) and a bullbar with some spotties.Spotties really not required as the lights are pretty good.

Doing the loop road from kings canyon was the first dirt we saw on our trip.This road is fast and smooth.However we woulb be cruising along at 110 or 120 and would hit a big hump in the road and woo hoo......airbourne.This happened 5 or 6 times with the engal hitting the roof.And the terri never bottomed out.

However having said all that I would not take it serios off road.Like in the vic high country.Would cover most though. :roflmbo:

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 3d

Doing that circuit should be enough to quieten the doubters; sounds like you would have had a great time. :blink:

Was that towing a trailer, or just a fully laden terry?

• TerriGhia
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 6d
Doing that circuit should be enough to quieten the doubters; sounds like you would have had a great time. :crybaby:

Was that towing a trailer, or just a fully laden terry?

No trailer,just heavily loaded.With a fridge,camping gear,20litres of water,bags of clothes,chairs,table,small compressor ect.

And it was awsome.Terri did s great job.Did not see any others out there though.Only issue I had was 1 puntchure in the last 15km of dirt.Fixed it on the spot though and never used the spare.I think it is a really good all round/all road touring vehicle.

I would also add some under car protection if I was to do it again,as well as the other mods I mentioned earlier.

Maybe next time I'll do it in a Turbo Terri.Woo Hoo.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Member For: 9y 5m 11d

We upgrade to a TTG from a subaru outback and do some gravel driving to a mates house. Apart from ABS being downright dangerous on any type of corrugations, theres a fair bit of difference around the 90 deg corners. You can really feel the weight of the terry and it understeers way sooner that the subi. Guess its something to get used to. Still way more grippy than a rwd though.

• 3 months later...
  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 3d

cheers

You'll fit in here

• Like 1